This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Fatigue Prediction Method for Spot Welded Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Generally linear finite element analysis (FEA) is used to predict fatigue life of spot welded joints in a vehicle body structure. Therefore, the effect of plastic deformation at the vicinity of the spot welded joints is not included on fatigue prediction. This study introduces a simple technique to include the plastic deformation effect without performing elastic-plastic finite element analysis. The S-N curve obtained from fatigue test results is modified to consider this effect. Tensile strength test results of spot welded joint specimens were utilized to find the load range for FEA equivalent to the applied load range for fatigue tests. To demonstrate the proposed approach, fatigue test results of advanced high strength steels (AHSS) for lap-shear and coach peel specimens were used. Both the specimen types were tested at various constant amplitudes with the load ratios of R=0.1 and 0.3.
CitationKang, H., Khosrovaneh, A., Hu, H., and De Souza, U., "A Fatigue Prediction Method for Spot Welded Joints," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1208, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1208.
- Rupp , A. , Störzel , K. , and Grubisic , V. Computer Aided Dimensioning of Spot-Welded Automotive Structures SAE Technical Paper 950711 1995 10.4271/950711
- Dong , P. A structural stress definition and numerical implementation for fatigue analysis of welded joints International Journal of Fatigue 23 865 876 2001
- Bonnen , J. , Agrawal , H. , Amaya , M. , Iyengar , R. et al. Fatigue of Advanced High Strength Steel Spot-Welds SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0978 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0978
- Swellam , M.H. A Fatigue Design Parameter for Spot Welds Ph.D. Thesis The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 1991
- Zhang , S. Stress Intensities at Spot Welds International Journal of Fracture 88 167 185 1997
- Wang , D.-A. and Pan , J. A Computational Study of Local Stress Intensity Factor Solutions for Kinked Cracks near Spot Welds in Lap-shear Specimens International Journal of Solids and Structures 42 6277 6298 2005
- Sheppard , S.D. Further Refinement of a Methodology for Fatigue Life Estimation in Resistance Spot Weld Connections Advances in Fatigue Lifetime Prediction Techniques: 3rd Volume American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 265 282 1996
- Kang , H. Fatigue Prediction of Spot Welded Joints Using Equivalent Structural Stress Materials and Design 28 3 837 843 2007
- Molski , K. and Glinka , G. A method of elastic-plastic stress and strain calculation at a notch root Mater. Sci. Engng 50 93 100 1981