This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrating Manufacturing Pre-Stress in FEA Based Road Load Fatigue Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most manufacturing and assembly processes like stamping, clamping, interference fits introduce a pre-stress condition in components or assemblies. Very often these stresses are high enough and alter the mean stress state resulting in significant effect on fatigue life performance and thus cannot be ignored. If the pre-stress is compressive, it will increase the allowable stress range and improve fatigue life performance; on the other hand if these stresses are tensile, they will decrease the allowable stress range resulting in a degradation of fatigue life. At times it becomes critical to effectively introduce the pre-stress condition in order to accurately represent the stress state in an FEA based durability simulation. Accounting for the pre-stress state in FEA based constant amplitude loading fatigue life simulation is relatively straight forward, but when it comes to random variable amplitude multi-channel loads simulation, the problem becomes more complicated. In this paper, a method to include the pre-stress effect on vehicle components or assemblies and perform FEA based fatigue analysis when subjected to random road loads is practiced. This paper outlines the procedure used to calculate the pre-stress followed by the modified material curves and eventually performs FE based fatigue analysis using vehicle road load data. A couple of case studies are also included that will demonstrate the correlation of this FE based method to the physical component test results.
CitationQin, W., "Integrating Manufacturing Pre-Stress in FEA Based Road Load Fatigue Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1204, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1204.
- FE-Based Fatigue Analysis with ICE-flow Design Life The nCode Institute 2008
- Dutzler Eberhard Fatigue Life Analysis with Consideration of Process Simulation Results NAFEMS Wiesbaden 2010
- Guo , M. , Bhandarkar , R. , and Lin , B. Clamp Load Consideration in Fatigue Life Prediction of a Cast Aluminum Wheel Using Finite Element Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1581 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1581
- Fatemi Ali Residual Stresses and Teir Effects on Fatigue Resistance University of Toledo
- High Strength Steel Stamping Design Manual A/SP-0080-2 2000
- Altair HyperWork 8.0 training material Altair Engineering Inc 2007
- Analysis User's Manual, Version 6.6 SIMULIA 2006
- Guo Mike Sheet metal fatigue Element Analysis of Clamped Joints International Automotive Body Conference 2011
- Dr. NWM bishop & Sherratt Finite Element based Fatigue Calculations NAFEMS Ltd 2000
- Lee Yung-Li Fatigue Testing and Analysis ELSEVIER Inc 2005
- MSC Fatigue Quick Start Guide MSC software Inc. 1999
- Comer , J.J. Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis SAE Course #ID 94024 2007