This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Road Load Data Acquisition using Full Vehicle Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concept of full vehicle simulation has been embraced by the automobile industry as it is an indispensable tool for analyzing vehicles. Vehicle loads traditionally obtained by road load data acquisition such as wheel forces are typically not invariant as they depend on the vehicle that was used for the measurement. Alternatively, virtual road load data acquisition approach has been adopted in industry to derive invariant loads. Analytical loads prior to building hardware prototypes can shorten development cycles and save costs associated with data acquisition. The approach described herein estimate realistic component load histories with sufficient accuracy and reasonable effort using full vehicle simulations. In this study, a multi-body dynamic model of the vehicle was built and simulated over digitized road using ADAMS software, and output responses were correlated to a physical vehicle that was driven on the same road.
CitationRoy, N. and Villaire, M., "Virtual Road Load Data Acquisition using Full Vehicle Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1189, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1189.
- ADAMS 12.0 user's guide
- Gillespie , T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics 1992
- Gipser , M. F-Tire: a physically based application-oriented tyre model for use with detailed MBS and finite-element suspension models Vehicle Systems Dynamics 43 76 91 2005
- Haga , H. Evaluation Method for Road Load Simulation Using a Tire Model and an Applied Example SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1256 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1256
- Motionview 10.1 reference guide
- Toso , A. , Langthaler , T. , and Wang , Z. Road load prediction for fatigue analysis on a passenger car using a hybrid multi-body/test approach ACMD 2012: The 6th Asian Conference on Multibody Dynamics August 26 August 30 2012