This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of the Scalable-CAN Integrated In-Vehicle Network
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today, the Controller Area Network (CAN) is a widely used in-vehicle network. However, due to the constraint of the theoretical upper bound speed of CAN, we proposed Scalable-CAN (SCAN), which employs round-robin scheduling to improve upper bound speed while keeping the compatibility with traditional CAN. Moreover, we proposed the worst-case response time (WCRT) analysis for a single SCAN bus system and showed the real-time performance.
In this paper, to apply SCAN to a next-generation in-vehicle network composed of a SCAN bus and a CAN bus, we first propose a schedulability analysis method for the integrated network system. Second, we show its real-time performance and highlight the effects of the bandwidth extension and throughput performance of the SCAN integrated system. Finally, we conclude that SCAN achieves lower latency, high schedulability, and high integrity toward a next-generation in-vehicle network.
CitationKurachi, R., Chen, Y., Takada, H., Nishimura, M. et al., "Performance Evaluation of the Scalable-CAN Integrated In-Vehicle Network," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1182, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1182.
- ISO Road vehicles -- Controller area network (CAN) -- Part 1: Data link layer and physical signaling, ISO11898-1 2003
- Nolte , T. , Hansson , H. , Bello , L.L. Automotive communications-- past, current and future Proceedings of 10th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA'05) 1 Sep. 19 22 2005
- FlexRay Consortium FlexRay™ Specifications Version 3.0.1 http://www.flexray.com Sep. 2012
- Compton , B. Goldilocks Serial Communication Protocol SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 167 179 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0477
- Kurachi , R. , Takada , H. , Teshima , S. , and Miyashita , Y. Design and Performance Analysis of 10 Mbit/s CAN SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 2 1 18 26 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0126
- BOSCH CAN with Flexible Data-Rate (CAN-FD) http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/media/pdf/canliteratur/can_fd_spec.pdf Sep. 2012
- Pop , P. , Eles , P. , Peng , Z. Schedulability Analysis and Optimization for the Synthesis of Multi-Cluster Distributed Embedded Systems Proceedings of Design Automation and Test in Europe Conference 184 189 2003
- Kurachi , R. , Takada , H. , Nishimura , M. , and Horihata , S. A New High-Speed Bus Topology LAN Protocol Compatible with CAN SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1043 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1043
- ISO Road vehicles -- Controller area network (CAN) -- Part 4: Time-triggered communication, ISO11898-4 2004
- Freescale Semiconductor Central gateway / In-Vehicle Networking http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/application.jsp?code=APLBDCR5 Sep. 2012
- Kurachi , R. , Takada , H. , Nishimura , M. , Horihata , S. Performance Analysis of Scalable CAN with Worst-case Response Time Analysis Information Processing Society of Japan 53 1962 1975 Aug. 2012
- Tindell , K.W. , Hansson , H. , Wellings , A.J. Analysing real-time communications: Controller Area Network (CAN) Proceedings of Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS'94) San Juan, Puerto Rico Dec. 1994
- Davis , R.I. , Burns , A. , Bril R.J. , Lukkien , J.J Controller Area Network (CAN) Schedulability Analysis: Refuted, Revisited and Revised Real-Time Systems 35 3 239 272 Apr. 2007
- Iiyama , S. , Tomiyama , H. , Takada , H. , Kido , M. , Hosotani , I. Response time analysis for grouped CAN messages with offsets Information Processing Society of Japan 45 455 464 Oct. 2004
- Yomsi , P.M. , Bertrand , D. , Navet , N. , Davis , R.I. Controller Area Network (CAN): Response Time Analysis with Offsets Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication System (WFCS 2012) Germany May 21 24 2012
- Chen , Y. , Zeng , G. , Kurachi , R. , Xie , Y. , Takada , H. Effects of Queueing Jitter on Worst-case Response Times of CAN Messages with Offsets IPSJ Embedded Systems Symposium (ESS 2012) Japan Oct. 16 19 2012