This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of DME-Diesel Fuel Supply System for Non-Gasification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As efficient and low-pollution alternative fuel, dimethyl ether (DME) has shown its excellent performance of combustion and emissions. There is a phenomenon of DME gasification in the in-line fuel pump of DME-diesel engine. DME gasification can result in “vapor lock” and serious inequality of the fuel supply in DME-diesel fuel system.
This paper presents a simple solution to improve DME gasification in DME-diesel fuel system. The key feature of the solution is just a bypass check valve, which is assembled between the intake fuel supply and the plunger chamber of the in-line pump. DME gasification in the in-line pump can be effectively eliminated by means of the bypass valve design.
The feasibility of the solution design is validated against AVL-HYDSIM simulations of both fuel systems, including the baseline of DME-diesel duel fuel system and the fuel system with the bypass check valve, on factors such as intake fuel pressure, DME content ratio, engine speed, DME vapor pressure and so on.
The research shows that (1) the design of the bypass check valve is one solution to eliminate DME gasification in the in-line pump fuel-injection system, and (2) DME gasification is inevitable in the plunger chamber of the in-line pump due to the powerful vacuum suction of the plunger, and (3) there is less effect of intake fuel pressure and DME fuel content ratio on the elimination of the gasification in the in-line pump, because the cause of DME gasification is the structure of the plunger and barrel assembly in the in-line pump fuel-injection system.
CitationDong, J., Pan, Q., Pan, Z., and Yang, D., "Design of DME-Diesel Fuel Supply System for Non-Gasification," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1152, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1152.
- Arcoumanis Constantine , Bae Choongsik , Crookes Roy , Kinoshita Eiji The potential of dimethyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel for compression-ignition engines: A review Fuel 87 2008 1014 1030
- Hara , T. , Shimazaki , N. , Yanagisawa , N. , Seto , T. et al. Study of DME Diesel Engine for Low NOx and CO2 Emission and Development of DME Trucks for Commercial Use SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 233 242 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1961
- Lee , S. , Lim , O. , and Lida , N. An Investigation on the Spray Characteristics of DME with Variation of Ambient Pressure using the Common Rail Fuel Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0591 2011
- Jung , D. , Jeong , J. , Lim , O. , Pyo , Y. et al. Influence of Pilot Injection on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions in a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Diesel and DME SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1958 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1958
- Longbao , Z. , Hewu , W. , Deming , J. , and Zuohua , H. Study of Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a DME-Fueled Light-Duty Direct-Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3669 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3669
- Tiegang Hu , Zhuoyong Huang et al. Latest Technology of Improving Fuel Supply System Fueled with Dimethyl Ether Vehicle Engine 2 2004
- Yude Kou , Jianjun Yang Key Technology Analysis About Supply System on DM E Engine Shanghai Energy Conservation 8 2008
- Verbeek RP , Van Doom A , van Walwijk M. Global assessment of di-methyl ether as an automotive fuel second TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1996
- Hui Tang Research Status of the Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine Agricultural Equipment & Vehicle Engineering 7 2012 10.3969/j.issn.1673-3142.2010.07002
- Tie Wang , Dan-hua Feng et al. Performance of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Non-standard Diesel-Dimethyl Ether Vehicle Engine 2011 5
- Jun-jun Zhang , Zhen Huang et al. Parameter Optimization in a Turbocharged Engine Fuelled with Dimethyl Ether Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 2009 9
- Tsuchiya , T. and Sato , Y. Development of DME Engine for Heavy-duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0052 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0052
- Arcoumanis C. The second European Auto-Oil programme (AOLII), European Commission 2 Alternative Fuels for Transportation 2000
- Kapus , P. and Ofner , H. Development of Fuel Injection Equipment and Combustion System for DI Diesels Operated on Dimethyl Ether SAE Technical Paper 950062 1995 10.4271/950062
- Sorenson , S. , Glensvig , M. , and Abata , D. Dimethyl Ether in Diesel Fuel Injection Systems SAE Technical Paper 981159 1998 10.4271/981159
- AVL Hydsim, User's Guide Graz 2009