This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct Visualization of Combustion in an E85-Fueled DISI Engine under Various Operation Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline-direct-injection (GDI) engines have been adopted increasingly by the automotive industry in the recent years due to their performance, effects on the environment, and customers' demand on advanced technology. However, the knowledge of detailed combustion process in such engines is still not thoroughly analyzed and understood. With optically accessible engines (OAE) and advanced measuring techniques, such as high-speed digital imaging, the in-cylinder combustion process is made available directly to researchers. The present study primarily focuses on the effects of different parameters of engine control on the combustion process, such as fuel types, valve deactivation, ignition timing, spark energy, injection timing, air-fuel ratio, and exhaust gas recirculation. Three engine heads of a 2.0L GDI engine are used with modification to acquire different optical access. Pure (E0) and ethanol-blended (E85) gasoline are used, and the engine speed and coolant temperature are kept low to imitate start-up situations in the normal driving condition. The visualization study is realized with two high-speed digital cameras, a color one and a monochrome one with an intensifier, to capture the combustion images.
The results indicate that the engine could start up in the first cycle by injecting E85 even for coolant at room temperature. Valve deactivation operation, which usually enhances the air-fuel mixing under low load conditions, may have a negative impact due to the convection effects on spark and spray plume at starting conditions. Optimal ignition timing and higher spark energy could also improve the combustion process to reduce misfire and cycle-to-cycle variation at the low speed conditions.
CitationLee, P., Polcyn, N., and Lai, M., "Direct Visualization of Combustion in an E85-Fueled DISI Engine under Various Operation Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1129, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1129.
- Zhao, F., Harrington D.L., and Lai, M.-C.D., “Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines,” SAE International, Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-0882-1, 2002.
- Alkidas, A. C. “Combustion Advancements in Gasoline,” Energy Conversion and Management 48 (2007): 2751-61, doi: 10.1016/j.enconman.2007.07.027.
- Drake, M. C., and Haworth, D. C., “Advanced Gasoline Engine Development Using Optical Diagnostics and Numerical Modeling,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31 (2007): 99-124, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.120.
- Samuel, S., Morrey, D., Whelan, I., and Hassaneen, A., “Combustion Characteristics and Cycle-By-Cycle Variation in a Turbocharged-Intercooled Gasoline Direct-Injected Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0348, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0348.
- Alden, M., Bood, J., Li, Z., and Richter, M., “Visualization and Understanding of Combustion Processes Using Spatially and Temporally Resolved Laser Diagnostic Techniques,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33 (2011): 69-97, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2010.09.004.
- Tornatore, C., Sementa, P., and Merola, S. S., “Optical Investigations of the Early Combustion Phase in Spark Ignition Boost Engines,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 225 (2010): 787-800, doi: 10.1177/2041299110394915.
- Bessler, W. G., Hofmann, M., Zimmermann, F., Suck, G., et al., “Quantitative in-Cylinder NO-LIF Imaging in a Realistic Gasoline Engine with Spray-Guided Direct Injection,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 (2005): 2667-74, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2004.08.123.
- Katharina, K.-H., Barlow, R. S., Alden, M., and Wolfrum, J., “Combustion at the Focus: Laser Diagnostics and Control,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30 (2005): 89-123, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2004.08.274.
- Gessenhardt, C., Zimmermann, F., Schulz, C., Reichle, R. et al., “Hybrid Endoscopes for Laser-Based Imaging Diagnostics in IC Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0655, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-0655.
- Kano, M., Saito, K., Basaki, M., Matsushita, S. et al., “Analysis of Mixture Formation of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980157, 1998, doi: 10.4271/980157.
- Hung, D., Zhu, G., Winkelman, J., Stuecken, T. et al., “A High Speed Flow Visualization Study of Fuel Spray Pattern Effect on Mixture Formation in a Low Pressure Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1411, 2007, doi: 10.4271/2007-01-1411.
- Adomeit, P., Weinowski, R., Ewald, J., Brunn, A. et al., “A New Approach for Optimization of Mixture Formation on Gasoline DI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0591, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0591.
- Matsumoto, A., Moore, W., Lai, M., Zheng, Y. et al., “Spray Characterization of Ethanol Gasoline Blends and Comparison to a CFD Model for a Gasoline Direct Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):402-425, 2010.
- Matsumoto, A., Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Lai, M. et al., “Characterization of Multi-hole Spray and Mixing of Ethanol and Gasoline Fuels under DI Engine Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2151, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-2151.
- Lai, M., Zheng, Y., Shost, M., Xie, X. et al., “Characterization of Internal flow and Spray of Multihole DI Gasoline Spray using X-ray Imaging and CFD,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1881, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1881.
- Matsumoto, A., Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Lai, M. et al., “Interactions of Multi-hole DI Sprays with Charge Motion and their Implications to Flexible Valve-trained Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1883, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1883.
- Zeng, W., Idicheria, C., Fansler, T., and Drake, M., “Conditional Analysis of Enhanced Combustion Luminosity Imaging in a Spray-Guided Gasoline Engine with High Residual Fraction,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1281, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1281.
- Peterson, B., Baum, E., Bohm, B., Sick, V., and Dreizler, A., “High-Speed PIV and LIF Imaging of Temperature Stratification in an Internal Combustion Engine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2012, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2012.05.051.
- Moore, W., Foster, M., Lai, M., Xie, X. et al., “Charge Motion Benefits of Valve Deactivation to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions in a GDi, VVA Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1221, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1221.
- Stan, C., Tröger, R., Lensi, R., Martoran, L. et al., “Potentialities of Direct Injection in Spark Ignition Engines - from Gasoline to Ethanol,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3270, 2000, doi: 10.4271/2000-01-3270.
- Stan, C., Troeger, R., Guenther, S., Stanciu, A. et al., “Internal Mixture Formation and Combustion - fro m Gasoline to Ethanol,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1207, 2001, doi: 10.4271/2001-01-1207.
- Lee, S., Tong, K., Quay, B., Zello, J. et al., “Effects of Swirl and Tumble on Mixture Preparation During Cold Start of a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1900, 2000, doi: 10.4271/2000-01-1900.
- Yamamoto, S., Tanaka, D., Takemura, J., Nakayama, O. et al., “Mixing Control and Combustion in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines for Reducing Cold-Start Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0550, 2001, doi: 10.4271/2001-01-0550.
- Hamilton, L., Rostedt, M., Caton, P., and Cowart, J., “Pre-Ignition Characteristics of Ethanol and E85 in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):145-154, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2008-01-0321.
- Zaccardi, J., Duval, L., and Pagot, A., “Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-ignition in a Boosted SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1587-1600, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-1795.
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. et al., “Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214-224, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Amann, M., Alger, T., and Mehta, D., “The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):235-245, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-0339.
- Haenel, P., Seyfried, P., Kleeberg, H., and Tomazic, D., “Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-0343.
- Sasaki, N., Nakata, K., Kawatake, K., Sagawa, S. et al., “The Effect of Fuel Compounds on Pre-ignition under High Temperature and High Pressure Condition,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1984, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1984.
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al., “Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011.
- Sasaki, N. and Nakata, K., “Effect of Fuel Components on Engine Abnormal Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1276, 2012, doi: 10.4271/2012-01-1276.
- Davis, G., Bouboulis, J., and Heil, E., “The Effect of a Multiple Spark Discharge Ignition System and Spark Plug Electrode Configuration on Cold Starting of a Dedicated E85 Fueled Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2664, 1999, doi: 10.4271/1999-01-2664.
- Lee, M., Hall, M., Ezekoye, O., and Matthews, R., “Voltage, and Energy Deposition Characteristics of Spark Ignition Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0231, 2005, doi: 10.4271/2005-01-0231.
- Lee, Y. and Boehler, J., “Flame Kernel Development and its Effects on Engine Performance with Various Spark Plug Electrode Configurations,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1133, 2005, doi: 10.4271/2005-01-1133.
- Alger, T., Mangold, B., Mehta, D., and Roberts, C., “The Effect of Sparkplug Design on Initial Flame Kernel Development and Sparkplug Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0224, 2006, doi: 10.4271/2006-01-0224.
- Gaydon, A. G. The Spectroscopy of Flames. Second ed. Great Britain: Chapman and Hall, 1974.