This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiments and Modeling of Flame/Wall Interaction in Spark-Ignition (SI) Engine Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dedicated experiments were performed in an optically-accessible, constant volume combustion vessel whose geometry and aerodynamic flow was representative of a pentroof SI engine combustion chamber. A detailed characterization of the flowfield was conducted in several near-wall regions where flame-wall interaction occurs using high-speed Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV). Simultaneous heat flux measurements were also performed at these same spatial locations.
From a numerical point of view, current Reynolds Averaged Navier Stokes (RANS) or Large Eddy Simulation (LES) models take into account the effects of the wall on the flame however the effects of the turbulent flame-wall interaction on wall heat flux are not accounted for. Direct Numerical Simulations (DNS) of a 2D, premixed, steady-state V-flame were performed in order to aid the development and validation of a new model based on the flame surface density concept in order to take into account flame-wall interaction effects . The new model attempts to evaluate the proportion of the flame in the computational cell that interacts with the wall as the quenching distance is reached. This new model was employed in the present study using a RANS approach with the objective of performing numerical simulations of the constant volume chamber experiment. The experimental and numerical methods are described while a detailed analysis and comparison of the computational and experimental results is discussed.
CitationLaget, O., Muller, L., Truffin, K., Kashdan, J. et al., "Experiments and Modeling of Flame/Wall Interaction in Spark-Ignition (SI) Engine Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1121, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1121.
- Truffin K. et al. Turb. Heat and Mass Transfer 7 2012
- Kashdan , J. , Cherel , J. , and Thirouard , B. A Study of Combustion Structure and Implications on Post-Oxidation Under Homogeneous and Stratified Operation in a DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1262 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1262
- Leduc P. , Dubar B. , Ranini A. , Monnier G. Downsizing of gasoline engine: an efficient way to reduce CO2 emissions Oil & Gas Science and Technology 58 1 115 127 Editions Technip 2003
- Vangraefschepe F. , Zaccardi J.-M. Analysis of destructive abnormal combustions appearing at high load and low engine speed on high performance gasoline engines SIA Strasbourg, France 28 29 november 2007
- Zaccardi , J. , Duval , L. , and Pagot , A. Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-ignition in a Boosted SI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1587 1600 2009
- Zaccardi J-M. , Lecompte M. , Duval L. , Pagot A. Pre-ignition in highly charged spark ignition engines - Visualisation and analysis MTZ 2009
- Zaccardi J-M. , Pagot A. Investigations on the effects of in-cylinder charge motion and injection mode on pre-ignition in highly boosted spark ignition engines 19. Aachener Kolloquium “Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik” Aachen 2010
- Zaccardi J-M. , Pagot A. Statistical observations on preignition in SI engines Knocking at Gasoline Engines - Irregular Combustion (IAV congress) 2010
- Boust B. , Sotton and Bellenoue M. Unsteady heat transfer during the turbulent combustion of a lean premixed methane-air flame: effect of pressure and gas dynamics Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31 2007 1411 1418
- Boust B. , Sotton J and Bellenoue M. Unsteady Contribution of Water Vapor Condensation to Heat Losses at Flame-Wall Interaction 6 th Eurotherm 2012
- Boust B. , Sotton J and Bellenoue M. Experimental study by High-speed particule image velocimetry of unsteady flame wall interaction in turbulent combustion 13 International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon, Portugal 26 29 June 2006
- Bohbot J. , Gillet N. , Benkenida A. IFP-C3D: an Unstructured Parallel Solver for Reactive Compressible Gas Flow with Spray Oil & Gas Science and Technology 64 2009 309 336
- Zolver M. , Klahr D. , Bohbot J. , Laget O. & Torres A. Reactive CFD in Engines with a New Unstructured Parallel Solver Oil & Gas Science and Technology 58 1 33 46 Editions Technip 2003
- Colin O. and Truffin K. A spark ignition model for large eddy simulation based on a FSD transport equation (ISSIM-LES) Proc. Combust. Inst. 33 2011 3097 3104
- Duclos JM , Colin O. Arc and kernel Tracking ignition model for 3D spark-ignition engine calculations COMODIA 343 350 2001
- Colin O. , Benkenida A. The 3-zones extended coherent flame model (ecfm3z) for computing premixed/diffusion combustion Oil & Gas Sci. and Tech. Rev. IFP 59 6 2004 593 609
- Marble F. , Broadwell J. The coherent flamelet model for turbulent chemical reactions Tech. Rep. Project Squid, TRW-9-PU 1977
- Duclos J. , Veynante D. , Poinsot T. A comparison of flamelets models for premixed turbulent combustion Combust. Flame 95 1993 101 117
- Bruneaux G. , Poinsot T. , Ferziger J. Premixed flame-wall interaction in a turbulent channel flow: budget for the flame surface density evolution equation and modelling J. Fluid Mech. 349 1997 191 219
- Angelberger , C. , Poinsot , T. , and Delhay , B. Improving Near-Wall Combustion and Wall Heat Transfer Modeling in SI Engine Computations SAE Technical Paper 972881 1997 10.4271/972881