This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Improvements of Urea SCR Mixing for Medium-Duty Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet the 2010 diesel engine emission regulations, an aftertreatment system was developed to reduce HC, CO, NOx and soot. In NOx reduction, a baseline SCR module was designed to include urea injector, mixing decomposition tube and SCR catalysts. However, it was found that the baseline decomposition tube had unacceptable urea mixing performance and severe deposit issues largely because of poor hardware design. The purpose of this article is to describe necessary development work to improve the baseline system to achieve desired mixing targets.
To this end, an emissions Flow Lab and computational fluid dynamics were used as the main tools to evaluate urea mixing solutions. Given the complicated urea spray transport and limited packaging space, intensive efforts were taken to develop pre-injector pipe geometry, post-injector cone geometry, single mixer design modifications, and dual mixer design options. Weighing these geometries and design options led to the redesigned SCR module geometry that was able to achieve the desired mixing targets with significant performance enhancements. Discussions on the results and roles of tests and CFD spray models are provided. Development methodologies are provided and discussed.
CitationZheng, G., Sampath, M., Alcini, W., Salanta, G. et al., "Design Improvements of Urea SCR Mixing for Medium-Duty Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1074, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1074.
- Zheng , G. , Palmer , G. , Salanta , G. , and Kotrba , A. Mixer Development for Urea SCR Applications SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2879 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2879
- Zheng , G. , Fila , A. , Kotrba , A. , and Floyd , R. Investigation of Urea Deposits in Urea SCR Systems for Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1941 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1941
- Hoard John , Snow Rachel , Xu Lifeng , Hammerle Robert , Montreuil Cliff , Gierczak Christine , and Farooq S. Iskander NOx Measurement Errors in Ammonia-Containing Exhaust Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Meeting 2006
- Fischer , S. , Bitto , R. , Lauer , T. , Krenn , C. et al. Impact of the Turbulence Model and Numerical Approach on the Prediction of the Ammonia Homogenization in an Automotive SCR System SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1443 1458 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1291
- Das , S. , Das , K. , Abidin , Z. , and Mehta , D. Effects of Various Model Parameters in the Simulation of a Diesel SCR System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1297 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1297
- Zheng , G. , Gardner , T. , Kotrba , A. , Golin , M. et al. Development of Urea SCR Systems for Large Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2204 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2204
- Salanta , G. , Zheng , G. , Kotrba , A. , Rampazzo , R. et al. Optimization of a Urea SCR System for On-Highway Truck Applications SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1938 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1938