This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental and Modeling Study of Reaction Kinetics for a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Based on Engine Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high-fidelity multi-step global kinetic Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) model which can predict SCR performance in engine exhaust systems is desirable for optimizing the SCR system, designing on-vehicle control systems and on-board diagnostic (OBD) functions. In this study, a Cu-zeolite SCR catalyst in the exhaust of a 2010 Cummins 6.7L ISB diesel engine was experimentally studied under both steady-state and transient conditions. Steady-state engine tests spanned SCR inlet temperatures from 250 to 400°C with a constant space velocity of 60 khr-1. A 1-D Cu-zeolite model originally developed from reactor data was improved and calibrated to the steady-state engine experimental data. The calibrated model is capable of predicting NO/NO₂ reduction, NH₃ slip, and NH₃ storage associated phenomena. A surrogate HD-FTP cycle was developed and transient engine tests with different urea injection levels were performed to test the SCR under specific transient conditions in order to validate the SCR model performance. In order to eliminate the effect of NH₃ measurement error caused by NH₃ adsorbing on the sample line wall, a sample line model was developed to simulate this NH₃ adsorption and desorption phenomena for post-processing the NH₃ measurements. Results show that the prediction of the NO, NO₂, and NH₃ from the calibrated SCR model is in good agreement with the experimental measurements. Significant differences in the kinetic parameters were observed between the calibrated SCR model based on the engine data and the SCR model calibrated to the reactor data, indicating that the system performed differently in the engine and the reactor.
CitationSong, X., Naber, J., Johnson, J., and Parker, G., "An Experimental and Modeling Study of Reaction Kinetics for a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Based on Engine Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1054, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1054.
- Song , X. , Parker , G. , Johnson , J. , Naber , J. et al. A Modeling Study of SCR Reaction Kinetics from Reactor Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1576 2013
- Johnson , T. Review of Diesel Emissions and Control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 16 29 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0301
- Johnson , T. Diesel Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 143 157 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0304
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Surenahalli , H. , Parker , G. , and Johnson , J. Extended Kalman Filter Estimator for NH3 Storage, NO, NO2 and NH3 Estimation in a SCR SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1581 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1581
- Herman , A. , Wu , M. , Cabush , D. , and Shost , M. Model Based Control of SCR Dosing and OBD Strategies with Feedback from NH3 Sensors SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 375 385 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0911
- Watling , T. C. , Tutuianu , M. , Desai , M. R. , Dai , J. et al. Development and Validation of a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1299 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1299
- Cloudt , R. , Saenen , J. , Eijnden , E. v. d. and Rojer , C. Virtual Exhaust Line for Model-based Diesel Aftertreatment Development SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0888 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0888
- Deland Seth B. Development and Parameter Identification of An Iron-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Model Using Reactor Data Michigan Technological University Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering 2010
- Chatterjee Daniel , Burkhardt Thomas , Weibel Michel , Nova Isabella et al. Numerical Simulation of Zeolite-and V-Based SCR Catalytic Converters SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1136 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1136
- Pant , A. and Schmieg , S. J. Kinetic Model of NO x SCR Using Urea on Commercial Cu-Zeolite Catalyst Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 50 2011 5490 5498 2011 dx.doi.org/10.1021/ie200060s
- Abu-Ramadan , E. , Saha , K. and Li , X. Modeling of the Injection and Decomposition Processes of Urea-Water-Solution Spray in Automotive SCR Systems SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1317 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1317
- DieselNet Emission Test Cycles: Heavy-Duty FTP Transient Cycle http://dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/ftp_trans.php