This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Modeling Study of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) under Transient and CPF Active Regeneration Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a DOC catalyst was experimentally studied in an engine test cell with a2010 Cummins 6.7L ISB diesel and a production aftertreatment system. The test matrix consisted of steady state, active regeneration with in-cylinder fuel dosing and transient conditions. Conversion efficiencies of total hydrocarbon (THC), CO, and NO were quantified under each condition.
A previously developed high-fidelity DOC model capable of predicting both steady state and transient active regeneration gaseous emissions was calibrated to the experimental data. The model consists of a single 1D channel where mass and energy balance equations were solved for both surface and bulk gas regions. The steady-state data were used to identify the activation energies and pre-exponential factors for CO, NO and HC oxidation, while the steady-state active regeneration data were used to identify the inhibition factors. The transient data were used to simulate the thermal response of the DOC. A calibration procedure was developed and the identified model parameters are presented.
The performance of the model was compared to the experimental results in terms of the outlet NO2/NOx ratios and CO, HC conversion efficiencies. The results show that the model is able to simulate the DOC performance under steady-state and transient conditions and during active regeneration conditions. The model is able to predict the outlet temperatures and HC concentrations within the measurement uncertainties. An inhibition factor that accounts for the inhibition of reactions in the presence of high hydrocarbon concentrations was determined so that the outlet HC and NO2 concentrations during active regeneration were simulated accurately.
CitationSong, X., Surenahalli, H., Naber, J., Parker, G. et al., "Experimental and Modeling Study of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) under Transient and CPF Active Regeneration Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1046, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1046.
- Surenhalli , H. , Premchand , K. , Johnson , J. , and Parker , G. Modeling Study of Active Regeneration of a Catalyzed Particulate Filter Using One-Dimensional DOC and CPF Models SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1242 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1242
- Chatterjee , D. , Burkhardt , T. , Rappe , T. , Güthenke , A. et al. Numerical Simulation of DOC+DPF+SCR systems:DOC Influence on SCR Performance SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 440 451 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0867
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles September 15 2011
- Knafl , A. , Han , M. , Bohac , S. , Assanis , D. et al. Comparison of Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Performance on an Engine and a Gas Flow Reactor SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0231 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0231
- Knafl , A. , Busch , S. , Han , M. , Bohac , S. et al. Characterizing Light-Off Behavior and Species-Resolved Conversion Efficiencies During In-Situ Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Degreening SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0209 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0209
- Kozlov , A. , Harris , T. , and Salyards , C. Engine Test for DOC Quenching in DOC-DPF System for Non-Road Applications SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 397 405 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0815
- Cheng , Y. and Huang , Y. Deactivation of Cu/Zeolite SCR Catalyst under Lean-Rich Aging Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1180 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1180
- Katare , S. , Patterson , J. , and Laing , P. Aged DOC is a Net Consumer of NO2: Analyses of Vehicle, Engine-dynamometer and Reactor Data SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3984 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3984
- Sampara , C. S. , Bissett , E. J. , Chmielewski , M. and Assanis , D. Global Kinetics for Platinum Diesel Oxidation Catalysts Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 46 24 7993 8003 2007 10.1021/ie070642w
- Zheng , M. and Banerjee , S. Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Particulate Filter Modeling in Active - Flow Configurations Applied Thermal Engineering 29 2009 3021 3035 2009 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2009.04.017
- Surenahalli , H. , Parker , G. , Johnson , J. and Devarakonda , M. A Kalman Filter Estimator for a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst During Active Regeneration of a CPF American Controls Conference 2012
- Song , X. , Naber , J. , Johnson , J. , and Parker , G. An Experimental and Modeling Study of Reaction Kinetics for a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Based on Engine Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1054 2013
- Ullah , U. , Waldram S.P. , Bennett C.J. and Truex T. Monolithic Reactors: Mass Transfer Measurements Under Reacting Conditions Chem.Eng. Sc. 47 2413 2418 1992