This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HVAC Blower Aeroacoustic Predictions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, vehicle cabin quietness takes a growing importance particularly related to the emergence of hybrid and electric vehicles and “Idle Stop system” vehicles. Demand for quieter car air-conditioner systems is increasingly important also, especially the reduction of the flow-induced noise from the HVAC. In HVAC systems, the rotating blower is one of the main noise sources and the digital solution for predicting and analyzing the blower aeroacoustic noise in the early stage of design is needed for developing a quieter blower. The target of this study is to develop and to validate a flow-induced noise predictive tool for a HVAC blower and to analyze the noise source. In this paper, a low-dissipation, transient, compressible CFD/CAA approach based on the Lattice Boltzmann Method (LBM) is used to predict simultaneously the flow and aeroacoustic radiation of two production blowers. For validating the numerical method, aerodynamics and acoustics measurements are carried out following the ISO-5801 standard norm. Simulation results are compared to experiments and the absolute levels and the correct trend of the Sound Pressure Levels (SPL) for the two blowers are accurately predicted. Simulation results are analyzed in detail to identify the physical mechanisms likely responsible for the noise generation.
CitationNorisada, K., Sakai, M., Ishiguro, S., Kawaguchi, M. et al., "HVAC Blower Aeroacoustic Predictions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1001, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1001.
- Li , Y. , Shock , R. , Zhang , R. Chen , H. Simulation of Turbulent Flow in a Cyclonic Separator with Lattice-Boltzmann Method American Institute of Aeroacoustic and Astronautics 2006
- Bhatnagar , P. , Gross , E. and Krook , M. 1954 A model for collision processes in gases. I. small amplitude processes in charged and neutral one-component system Phys. Rev. 94 511 525 1954
- Chapman , S. and Cowling , T. 1990 The Mathematical Theory of Non-Uniform Gases Cambridge University Press 1990
- Tabor G. , Gosman A.D. , and Issa R. 1996 Numerical Simulation of the Flow in a Mixing Vessel Stirred by a Rushton Turbine IChemE Symp Ser 140 25 34
- Daskapoulous , Ph and Harris C.K. 1996 Three dimensional CFD simulations of Turbulent Flow in Baffled Stirred Tanks I ChemE Symp Ser 140 1 13
- Chen , H. 2005 Matching MRF Surfels for Sliding Mesh Exa Corporation Internal Notes
- Hoch , J. 2004 Rotating Reference Frames in PowerFLOW Exa Corporation Internal Memorandum
- Guo , Z. , Zhen , C. and Shi , B. 2002 Discrete lattice effects on the forcing term in the lattice Boltzmann method Phys. Rev. E 65 046308
- Zhang , R. , Shan , X. and Chen , H. 2006 Efficient Kinetic Method for fluid simulation beyond Navier-Stokes equation Phys. Rev. E 74 046703