This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
V2V Next Steps: A Proposal for Simplification of V2V Safety Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Much good work has been done in recent years by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the design, specification, and testing of potential future Vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) safety systems that will provide early warning of impending hazards to drivers. During this same time, Industry has been hard at work developing autonomous crash avoidance systems, based solely on data gathered from in-vehicle sensors.
This paper proposes a fusion of V2V cooperative safety systems and in-vehicle sensor-based systems to increase the effectiveness of both systems and provide incentive to speed adoption of Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) based V2V safety systems. The proposed solution may be used to provide many of the benefits of V2V safety applications while simplifying the deployment of these systems significantly as it does not require the robust infrastructure of the complete NHSTA proposed system currently under test. It is believed that the lack of required infrastructure will also help adoption of these safety systems in developing markets where a lack of infrastructure would ordinarily preclude their use.
CitationRidge, M. and Dekelbaum, R., "V2V Next Steps: A Proposal for Simplification of V2V Safety Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0982, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0982.
- ITS CONNECTED VEHICLE SAFETY PROGRAM Moving from research towards implementation Chicago IL September 25 2012 http://www.its.dot.gov/presentations/CV_Safety_sept2012/pdf/Day%201%20-%20%20Overview%20of%20ITS%20%20CV%20SP%20-%20Schagrin.pdf
- Pindilli Emily Applications for the Environment: Real-Time Information Synthesis (AERIS) - Benefit-Cost Analysis Oct 17 2012 http://www.its.dot.gov/presentations/pdf/AERIS_BCA_webinar_10-17-12.pdf
- European Union response on Rear-end traffic collisions http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2011-011477&language=EN
- Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) Communications for Safety http://www.its.dot.gov/research/v2v.htm 16 August 2012 12 22 October 2012
- Vehicle Information Exchange Needs for Mobility Applications: Version 2.0 FHWA-JPO-12-021 August 1 2012 http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/46000/46000/46089/Final_PKG_FHWA-JPO-12-021_508_PDF.pdf
- Patent: 20120226418 HAPTIC FEEDBACK SYSTEM FOR VEHICLE SEATING http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120226418
- Moore Tyler , Clulow Jolyon , Nagaraja Shishir and Anderson Ross New Strategies for Revocation in Ad-Hoc Networks Fourth European Workshop on Security and Privacy in Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks (ESAS) 2007 http://people.seas.harvard.edu/∼tmoore/esas07-pres.pdf
- Conitzer Vincent and Sandholm Tuomas Universal Voting Protocol Tweaks to Make Manipulation Hard Proceedings of the 18th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-03) 781 788 Acapulco, Mexico 2003 http://www.cs.duke.edu/∼conitzer/tweakIJCAI03.pdf
- MOBILE DEVICE LOCATION DATA Additional Federal Actions Could Help Protect Consumer Privacy September 2012 http://www.gao.gov/assets/650/648044.pdf