This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stiffness Evaluation Method for BIW with Sensitivity Coefficients
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stiffness is one of the key points for research and development of vehicle body in white (BIW). Fast and effective evaluation of stiffness is very important for reducing the time and cost of research and development. How to realize weight reduction with proper stiffness is also a focus point of automobile design. In general, commercial software is used to optimize the BIW design. But the optimization process is time consuming. Therefore a simple but effective tool for fast evaluation is desired.
A method to evaluate stiffness with sensitivity coefficients of sheet metal thickness of body structure is proposed in this paper. The simple mathematical relation of the sensitivity coefficients, the thickness variation of sheet metals, and the stiffness of body structure is established. The stiffness can be evaluated quickly for various combination of sheet metal thickness without running large-scale simulation using commercial software. An excel spreadsheet is also developed for fast evaluation by design engineers.
Examples are presented to show the effectiveness of the proposed method.
CitationQu, Y., Zhang, L., Wu, S., and hongbin, W., "Stiffness Evaluation Method for BIW with Sensitivity Coefficients," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0975, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0975.
- MSC.Software Corporation Design Sensitivity and Optimization User's Guide MSC.Nastran 2004 71 94 2005
- Lan , F.C. and Chen , J.Q. Optimization and sensitivity analysis of cover panel thickness of load-supporting autobody Aerospace Manufacturing Technology 3 61 65 2005
- Li , Y.W. , Xu , T Modification method of autobody structure model based on relative sensitivity Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology Edition) 39 6 1435 1440 2009
- Zhang S.Y. , Prater G. , A study of the effect of elastic instability on stiffness-based gauge sensitivity indices for vehicle body structure assessment Thin-Walled Structures 47 1590 1596 2009 10.1016/j.tws.2009.05.002
- Zhang S.Y. , Prater G. , Gauge sensitivity indices and application for assessing vehicle body structural stiffness Int. J. Vehicle Design 57 1 1 16 2011 10.1504/IJVD.2011.043591