This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Non-parametric Free-form Optimization Method for Controlling the Stiffness of Automotive Sheet Metal Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a free-form optimization method for achieving a desired stiffness in the shape design of automotive sheet metal structures. A squared error norm of displacements at loaded points is introduced as an objective functional in the formulation of a distributed-parameter shape identification problem. The shape gradient function theoretically derived for this problem is applied to the non-parametric free-form optimization method for shells that was developed by one of the authors. With this method, an optimal arbitrarily formed shell, or a shell with optimal curvature distribution can be obtained without any shape parameterization. The calculated results show the effectiveness and the practical utility of the proposed method for controlling stiffness when designing sheet metal structures.
|Technical Paper||Understanding Through-Thickness Integration in Springback Simulation|
|Technical Paper||FE Analysis of Multi Layer Composite Shielding Systems|
CitationShimoda, M. and Liu, Y., "A Non-parametric Free-form Optimization Method for Controlling the Stiffness of Automotive Sheet Metal Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0962, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0962.
- Shimoda , M. , Iwasa , K. and Azegami A Shape optimization method for the optimal free-form design of shell structures CD-proceedings of 8th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (WCSMO-8) Rodrigues H.C. , Guedes J. M. et al. 2009 Lisbon
- Shimoda , M. Free-Form Optimization Method for Designing Automotive Shell Structures SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Electronic and Electrical Systems 2011 01
- Liu Y. , Shimoda M. , Multi-step Free-form Optimization of Shell Structures 3rd International Conference on Engineering Optimization , EngOpt2012 2012 Rio de Janeiro
- Shimoda , M. Optimal free-form design of shell structures involving a natural frequency problem CD- proceedings of EUROGEN2011 Conference (EVOLUTIONARY AND DETERMINISTIC METHODS FOR DESIGN, OPTIMIZATION AND CONTROL) Poloni C. , Quagliarella D. et al. 2011 Capua
- Ramm , E. , Bletzinger , K. -U. and Reitiger , R. Shape Optimization of Shell Structures Int. J. Shell and Spatial Structures 34 2 103 121 1993
- Rao , V. and Hinton , E. Analysis and Optimization of Prismatic Plate and Shell Structures with Curved Planform - II. Shape Optimization Computers & Structures 52 2 341 351 1994
- Choi , K. and Kim , N.H. Structural Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization , 2 Springer New York 2005
- Bletzinger , K. U , Firl , M. , Linhard , J. and Wuchner , R Computational morphogenesis of free form shells: Filter methods to create alternative solutions Proceedings of the IASS Symposium 2009 2009 Valencia
- Choi , K. and Kim , N.H. Structural Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization , 1 Springer New York 2005
- Azegami , H. A Solution to Domain Optimization Problems Trans. of Jpn. Soc. of Mech. Engs. 60 1479 1486 1994
- Shimoda , M. , Azegami , H. , and Sakurai , T. Traction Method Approach to Optimal Shape Design Problems SAE Technical Paper 971538 1997 10.4271/971538
- Shimoda , M. and Tsuji , J. Non-parametric Shape Optimization Method for Rigidity Design of Automotive Sheet Metal Structures SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0584 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0584