This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Evaluation of Turbochargers for High Horsepower Diesel-Electric Locomotives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Indian Railways have a fleet of high-horsepower diesel-electric locomotives rated at 2310 kW. These high horsepower diesel-electric locomotives have evolved from original design of 1940 kW locomotives. Adoption of new design turbochargers was essential for this upgrading efforts and a series of new design turbochargers were evaluated on the engine test-bed before their use on the diesel locomotives. The objective was to increase engine power output, improve fuel efficiency and limit thermal loading. Test-bed evaluation of different turbochargers was carried out for comparing five different turbochargers. Each turbocharger had different size nozzle ring, diffuser, turbine blade assembly, impeller and inducer. The compressor maps of turbochargers were used to plot the engine load lines and to calculate surge margins. The tests involved measuring critical parameters for various combinations of engine speed and load for every turbocharger. Some of these measured parameters were air inlet temperature to the compressor, peak firing pressures, inlet temperature to the turbine, cylinder head temperature, brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC), engine boost and air manifold temperature. This paper discusses the methods adopted for carrying out these evaluations and the results obtained thereof along with the decision criteria for making final selection of turbocharger for locomotives.
CitationGautam, A. and Agarwal, A., "Comparative Evaluation of Turbochargers for High Horsepower Diesel-Electric Locomotives," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0930, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0930.
- Watson N. , Janota , M. S. Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine The Macmillan Press Ltd UK 608 1982
- Johri , A. , Agarwal O.P. Retrofitment of high performance turbochargers to a rail traction diesel engine for improving engine efficiency, reliability and power output 6 157 Institution of Mechanical Engineers Conference Publications 1994
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill USA 1988
- Baines N.C. Fundamentals of Turbocharging Concepts NREC USA 2005
- Japiske D. Advanced Centrifugal Compressor Design and Development International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition ASME Nov. 5 11 2000
- Sivagnanasundaram S. , Spence S , Early J. , Nikpour B. Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Classical Bleed Slot System for a Turbocharger Compressor Technical paper http://www.holset.com/mainsite/picsrelated/3_5-TechnicalPapers/Experimental%20&%20Numerical%20Analysis%20of%20Classical%20Bleed%20Slot%20System.pdf
- Internal Report Evaluation of Turbochargers Engine Development Directorate, Research Design & Standards Organization Lucknow 2004
- Mueller , R. ABB turbocharger - An integral part of large diesel engines ABB Review 3 5 11 1994
- Markus R. , Matthias N. Power turbines for an energy bonus from diesel engines ABB Review 5 16 21 1994
- McCafferty , D. Upgrading diesel locomotives with modern turbochargers Diesel & Gas Turbine Worldwide 27 2 2 1995
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill International Edition 930 1998
- Nikitin , E.A. , Dekhovitch , D.A. , Berezkov , V.A. Development of turbocharging systems and units for transport engines with high mean effective pressures ASME, ICE 17 Diesel Engine Processes: Turbocharging Combustion and Emission 97 100 1992
- Tanin , K. , Wickman , D. , Montgomery , D. , Das , S. et al. The Influence of Boost Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Single-Cylinder D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0840 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0840
- Robert D. , Olivier B. , David-Austin P. , Bent P. Turbocharger power for future railway applications American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Internal Combustion Engine Division (Publication) ICE 40 73 82 2003
- Gautam A. , Agarwal A. K. Matching and optimisation of turbochargers for upgradation of high horse power diesel electric locomotives for Indian Railways American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Internal Combustion Engine Division (Publication) ICE, Paper No. ICES2005-1103 83 88 2005