This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1-D Model of Roots Type Supercharger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces research work on 1-D model of Roots type supercharger with helical gears using 1-D simulation tool. Today, passenger car engine design follows approach of downsizing and the reduction of number of engine cylinders. Superchargers alone or their combination with turbochargers can fulfill low-end demands on engine torque for such engines. Moreover, low temperature combustion of lean mixture at low engine loads becomes popular (HCCI, PCCI) requiring high boost pressure of EGR/fresh air mixture at low exhaust gas temperature, which poses too high demands on turbocharger efficiency.
The main objective of this paper is to describe Roots charger features and to amend Roots charger design. The presented analysis tool is a 1-D model of Roots type supercharger respecting inlet and outlet processes due to the change of volume between teeth, fast compression in the gap between teeth after connecting the compressor outlet, mass flow losses caused by teeth mesh and casing clearances and additional compression/expansion between meshing-in teeth. Finding the geometrical data (variable volumes, surfaces and cross-section areas) is based on newly developed procedures using scripts in 3-D solid CAD model, in which teeth meshing was simulated. The developed model has been calibrated using supercharger map measured at a test rig.
The model constructed from 1-D model modules has been used for sensitivity analysis considering design data. It can be connected to engine model and easily used for supercharger map extrapolation.
|Technical Paper||A Study on Supercharged HCCI Natural Gas Engines|
|Technical Paper||Simultaneous OH- and Formaldehyde-LIF Measurements in an HCCI Engine|
CitationBrynych, P., Macek, J., Vitek, O., and Cervenka, L., "1-D Model of Roots Type Supercharger," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0927, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0927.
- Chlumský , V. Rotační kompresory a vývěvy (Rotational Compressors and Exhausters, in Czech) SNTL Prague 1966
- Takabe , S. , Ikeya , N. , and Miyagi , Y. Second Generation Lysholm Compressor SAE Technical Paper 980774 1998 10.4271/980774
- Takabe , S. , Hatamura , K. , Kanesaka , H. , Kurata , H. et al. Development of the High Performance Lysholm Compressor for Automotive Use SAE Technical Paper 940843 1994 10.4271/940843
- Miyagi , Y. , Takabe , S. , Miyashita , K. , and Ikeya , N. Experimental Study of New Lysholm Supercharger with a Simple Unloading System SAE Technical Paper 960952 1996 10.4271/960952
- http://www.mercedesbenz.de/content/germany/mpc/mpc_germany_website/de/hom e_mpc/passengercars/home/world/mythos/gallery_of_legends.flash.html#1923
- Chadwell , C. , Alger , T. , Roberts , C. , and Arnold , S. Boosting Simulation of High Efficiency Alternative Combustion Mode Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 375 393 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0358
- Pohorelsky , L. , Brynych , P. , Macek , J. , Vallaude , P. et al. Air System Conception for a Downsized Two-Stroke Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0831 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0831
- Pohorelsky , L. , Zak , Z. , Macek , J. , and Vitek , O. Study of Pressure Wave Supercharger Potential using a 1-D and a 0-D Approach SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1331 1353 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1143
- Macek , J. , Vítek , O. , Burič , J. , and Doleček , V. Comparison of Lumped and Unsteady 1-D Models for Simulation of a Radial Turbine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 173 188 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0303
- Šejvl , M. Theorie a výpočty ozubených kol (Theory and Calculations of Gears) 1 st SNTL Prague 1957
- DIN 1952 VDI-Durchfluß. Meßregeln 1943
- Macek , J. , Pohořelský , L. , Brynych , P. Supercharger and Turbocharger Tests at CZ a.s. Strakonice Internal report ČVUT Praha 2010
- Gamma Technologies GT-POWER Users' Manual version 7.0 2010