This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cellulosic Ethanol Fuel Quality Evaluation and its Effects on PFI Intake Valve Deposits and GDI Fuel Injector Plugging Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The U.S. Renewable Fuel Standard 2 (RFS2) mandates the use of advanced renewable fuels such as cellulosic ethanol to be blended into gasoline in the near future. As such, determining the impact of these new fuel blends on vehicle performance is important. Therefore, General Motors conducted engine dynamometer evaluations on the impact of cellulosic ethanol blends on port fuel injected (PFI) intake valve deposits and gasoline direct injected (GDI) fuel injector plugging. Chemical analysis of the test fuels was also conducted and presented to support the interpretation of the engine results. The chemical analyses included an evaluation of the specified fuel parameters listed in ASTM International's D4806 denatured fuel ethanol specification as well as GC/MS hydrocarbon speciations to help identify any trace level contaminant species from the new ethanol production processes.
While the cellulosic ethanol engine test results varied nominally depending on the type of feedstock used, the average cellulosic ethanol results were determined to be equivalent to corn-based ethanol samples tested.
CitationRussell, M., Cummings, J., Cushing, T., and Studzinski, W., "Cellulosic Ethanol Fuel Quality Evaluation and its Effects on PFI Intake Valve Deposits and GDI Fuel Injector Plugging Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0885, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0885.
- Renewable Fuels Standard Pew Center on Global Climate Change September 21 2011 http://www.pewclimate.org/federal/executive/renewable-fuel-standard
- Environmental Protection Agency 2010 Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives 2011 Renewable Fuel Standards; Final Rule
- Petroleum & Other Liquids 2011 U.S. Energy Information Administration February 6 2012 http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_cons_psup_dc_nus_mbbl_a.htm
- Statistics Renewable Fuels Association February 6 2012 http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/statistics#E
- Estimated US Biodiesel Production by Calendar Year Biodiesel February 6 2012 http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelfactsheets/
- Fewer Exhaust Emissions Caltex January 23 2012 http://www.caltex.com/global/techron-techology/techron-advantage
- MB World Discussion Forum 2011 May 7 MB World January 23 2012 http://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/399192-stp.html
- Parker , A. 2009 December 2 How Direct Injection Engines Work. In howstuffworks January 25 2012 http://auto.howstuffworks.com/direct-injection
- Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN) Direct Injection for Internal Combustion Engines Climate Tech Wiki January 23 2012 http://climatetechwiki.org/technology/ice_improvements
- DuMont , R. , Evans , J. , Feist , D. , Studzinski , W. et al. Test and Control of Fuel Injector Deposits in Direct Injected Spark Ignition Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2641 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2641