This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with CNG and CNG/Hydrogen Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation was performed on a turbocharged spark-ignition 4-cylinder production engine fuelled with natural gas and with two blends of natural gas and hydrogen (15% and 25% in volume of H₂). The engine was purposely designed to give optimal performance when running on CNG. The first part of the experimental campaign was carried out at MBT timing under stoichiometric conditions: load sweeps at constant engine speed and speed sweeps at constant load were performed. Afterwards, spark advance sweeps and relative air/fuel ratio sweeps were acquired at constant engine speed and load. The three fuels were compared in terms of performance (fuel conversion efficiency, brake specific fuel consumption, brake specific energy consumption and indicated mean effective pressure) and brake specific emissions (THC, NOx, CO). The pressure trace was acquired in the four cylinders to perform a cycle-by-cycle and cylinder-by-cylinder analysis of the peak firing pressure and the indicated mean effective pressure as well as of the main combustion parameters.
As far as MBT timing stoichiometric operations are concerned, the addition of hydrogen determines a reduction in the spark advance. The higher energy content of hydrogen with respect to methane determines lower brake specific fuel consumption values. Conversely, similar values were found for the brake specific energy consumption, which is intimately related to the fuel conversion efficiency. The addition of H₂ produces an appreciable reduction in THC which overcomes the mere reduction of HC in the blend. A small improvement can also be found for CO emissions whereas NOx turned out to be slightly affected by the H₂ content in the fuel.
The air/fuel ratio in the relative air/fuel ratio sweeps was varied in the rich and lean field up to the lean operation limit. The addition of hydrogen determined a marked reduction of the coefficient of variations in the lean field, thus allowing an extension of the lean operation limit with respect to CNG operation. The addition of hydrogen still determined a considerable THC reduction which turned out to be even more evident as one moved to the lean field.
Regardless of the considered fuel, a significant cylinder-to-cylinder variation emerged, mainly to be attributed to the cylinder spatial distribution, which in turn affects the effectiveness of the cooling system and the uniform air/fuel mixture distribution.
|Technical Paper||Knock and Emission Characteristics of Heavy-Duty HCNG Engine with Modified Compression Ratios|
|Journal Article||Characterization of CH 4 and CH 4 /H 2 Mixtures Combustion in a Small Displacement Optical Engine|
CitationBaratta, M., D'Ambrosio, S., and Misul, D., "Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with CNG and CNG/Hydrogen Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0866, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0866.
- Well-to-Wheel Analysis of Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Automotive Fuels in the Japanese Context - Well-to-Tank Report 2004 http://www.mizuhoir.co.jp/english/knowledge/report/wtwghg041130.html
- Bauer , C.G. , Forest , T.W. Effect of hydrogen addition on the performance of methane-fueled vehicles. Part I: effect on S.I. engine performance International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 26 55 70 2001
- Peschka , W Liquid hydrogen - fuel of the future Springer 283 6 1992
- Ma , F. , Liu , H. , Wang , Y. , Li , Y. , Wang , J. , Zhao , S. Combustion and emission characteristics of a port-injection HCNG engine under various ignition timings International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 816 822 2008
- Nagalingam , B. , Duebel , F. , Schmillen , K. Performance study using natural gas, hydrogen supplemented natural gas and hydrogen in AVL research engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 1983 8 9 715 20
- Wang , J. , Wang , Z. Combustion and emission characteristics of a direct-injection engine fueled with natural gas/hydrogen blends under various ignition timings CSICE Trans. 24 394 401 2006
- Hoekstra , RL. , Collier , K. , Mulligan , N. Demonstration of hydrogen mixed gas vehicles Proceedings of the 10th world hydrogen energy conference 1994 3
- Hoekstra , RL. , Collier , K. , Mulligan , N. , Chew , L. Experimental study of a clean burning vehicle fuel International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 1995 20 9 737 45
- Swain , M. , Yusuf , M. , Dülger , Z. , and Swain , M. The Effects of Hydrogen Addition on Natural Gas Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper 932775 1993 10.4271/932775
- Bysveen , M. Engine characteristics of emissions and performance using mixtures of natural gas and hydrogen Journal of Energy 32 2007 482 489
- Tunestål , P. , Christensen , M. , Einewall , P. , Andersson , T. et al. Hydrogen Addition For Improved Lean Burn Capability of Slow and Fast Burning Natural Gas Combustion Chambers SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2686 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2686
- Baratta , M. , d'Ambrosio , S. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. Effects of H2 Addition to CNG Blends on Cycle-To-Cycle and Cylinder-to-Cylinder Combustion Variation in an SI Engine Proceedings of the ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference, Paper no. 81187
- Larsen , J.F. , and Wallace , J.S. Comparison of Emissions and Efficiency of a Turbocharged Lean-Burn Natural Gas and Hythane-Fueled Engine ASME Transactions, Journal of Eng. For Gas Turbines and Power 119 218 226 1997
- Ganesan , V. Internal Combustion Engines McGraw-Hill 4 th 2012
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Finesso , R. , Spessa , E. Calculation Of Mass Emissions, Oxygen Mass Fraction And Thermal Capacity Of The Inducted Charge In SI And Diesel Engines From Exhaust And Intake Gas Analysis Fuel 90 1 152 166 2011 Elsevier
- Hoekstra , R. L. ; Blarigan , P. V. ; Mulligan , N. Nox Emissions and Efficiency of Hydrogen, Natural Gas and Hydrogen/Natural Gas Blended Fuels The British Library
- Ma , F. ; Wang , Y. ; Liu , H. ; Li , Y. ; Wang , J. , Zhao , S. Experimental study on thermal efficiency and emission characteristics of lean burn natural gas engine Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 5067 5075 2007
- Catania , A.E. , Misul , D. , Mittica , A. , and Spessa , E. A Refined Two-Zone Heat Release Model for Combustion Analysis in SI Engines JSME Int. Journal 2003 46 1 75 85
- Catania , A.E. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. , and Vassallo , A. A Diagnostic Tool for the Analysis of Heat Release, Flame propagation Parameters and NO Formation in SI Engines JSME Paper No. 471 2004
- Catania , A. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. , and Vassallo , A. Analysis of Combustion Parameters and Their Relation to Operating Variables and Exhaust Emissions in an Upgraded Multivalve Bi-Fuel CNG SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0983 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0983
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Misul , D. , Spessa , E. , and Vassallo , A. Evaluation of Combustion Velocities in Bi-fuel Engines by Means of an Enhanced Diagnostic Tool Based on a Quasi-Dimensional Multizone Model SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0245 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0245
- Baratta , M. , d'Ambrosio , S. , Spessa , E. , Vassallo , A. Cycle-Resolved Detection of Combustion Start in Si Engines by means of Different In-Cylinder Pressure Data Reduction Techniques 2006 Spring Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Aachen (Germany) May 7 10 0791837750 2006
- Baratta , M. , and Misul , D. Development and assessment of a new methodology for end of combustion detection and its application to cycle resolved heat release analysis in IC engines Appl Energy 98 2012 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.03.020
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill International Editions 1988
- Kahraman , N. , Ceper , B. , Akansu , S., O. , Aydin , K. Investigation of combustion characteristics and emissions in a spark-ignition engine fuelled with natural gas-hydrogen blends International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 2009 1026 1034
- Akansu S., O. , Kahraman , N. , Ceper , B. Experimental study on a spark ignition engine fuelled by methane-hydrogen mixtures International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 2007 4279 4284