This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Economy Impact of Grille Opening and Engine Cooling Fan Power on a Mid-Size Sedan
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper investigates changes in fuel economy of a mid-size sedan at various engine cooling fan power levels and front grille opening areas. A full vehicle model was built using MATLAB Simulink to calculate the fuel economy (MPG). The model utilized inputs from aerodynamic wind tunnel testing as well as FTP and MVEG dynamometer tests results. Simulation and testing was carried out at three front opening areas and three engine cooling fan power levels. The results provide a guideline for optimizing the front grille opening vs. engine cooling fan power combination at various driving conditions.
|Journal Article||Variable and Fixed Airflow for Vehicle Cooling|
|Journal Article||Effects on Real Life Fuel Efficiency of Raising the MAC Engagement Temperature|
CitationXu, B., Leffert, M., and Belanger, B., "Fuel Economy Impact of Grille Opening and Engine Cooling Fan Power on a Mid-Size Sedan," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0857, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0857.
- Charnesky , S. , Fadler , G. , and Lockwood , T. Variable and Fixed Airflow for Vehicle Cooling SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4 1 1286 1296 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1340
- El-Sharkawy , A. , Kamrad , J. , Lounsberry , T. , Baker , G. et al. Evaluation of Impact of Active Grille Shutter on Vehicle Thermal Management SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4 1 1244 1254 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1172
- Jama , H. , Watkins , S. , and Dixon , C. Reduced Drag and Adequate Cooling for Passenger Vehicles Using Variable Area Front Air Intakes SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0342 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0342
- Baeder , D. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. , and Unterlechner , P. Aerodynamic Investigation of Vehicle Cooling-Drag SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0170 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0170
- Williams , J. Aerodynamic Drag of Engine-Cooling Airflow With External Interference SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0996 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0996
- Tortosa , N. , Meinert , F. , (Max) Schenkel , F. , Lounsberry , T. et al. A Correlation Study between the Full Scale Wind Tunnels of Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1205 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1205
- Fuel Labeling of Motor Vehicle Revisions to Improve Calculation of Fuel Economy Estimates EPA420-R06-017 2006
- Lo , C. , Luan , Y. , Tate , E. , and Zarger , T. A Simulation Model for the Saturn VUE Green Line Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0441 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0441