This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of HVAC System Aero/Acoustic Noise Generation and Propagation using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the advent of quieter powertrain and improved cabin acoustic sealing, there is an increased focus on noise generated in the HVAC unit and climate control ducting system. With improved insulation from exterior noise sources such as wind & road noise, HVAC noise is more perceptible by the occupants and is a key quality indicator for new generation vehicles. This has increased the use of simulations tools to predict HVAC noise during the virtual development phase of new vehicle programs. With packaging space being premium under the instrument panel, changes to address noise issues are expensive and often impractical. The current methodology includes the best practices in simulation accumulated from prior aero acoustics validation studies on fans, ducts, flaps and plenum volume discharge. The paper details the acoustic noise generation and propagation in the near field downstream of an automotive HVAC unit in conjunction with ducting system. The simulation process is based on Detached Eddy Simulation (DES) with compressibility. The overall sound pressure level at a nearfield cabin location is compared with test data. Good agreement was achieved between simulation and test results.
CitationSah, M., Srinivasan, K., Mendonca, F., and Pai, N., "Prediction of HVAC System Aero/Acoustic Noise Generation and Propagation using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0856, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0856.
- Jäger A. et al. Numerical and Experimental Investigations of the Noise Generated by a Flap in a Simplified HVAC Duct AIAA Paper 2008-2902, 29th AIAA Aerocoustics Conference May 5 7 2008 Vancouver B.C.
- Caro S. , Detandt Y. , Manera J. , Toppinga R. and Mendonça , F. Validation of a New Hybrid CAA strategy and Application to the Noise Generated by a Flap in a Simpli_ed HVAC Duct AIAA-2009-3352, 30th AIAA Aerocoustics Conference Rome, Italy
- Gren E. , Farrall M. , Mendonça F. and Sandhu K. CFD Prediction of Aeroacoustic Noise Generation in a HVAC duct AIAA-2012-2068, 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference 04 06 June 2012 Colorado Springs, CO
- Spalart , P.R. , Jou , W.H. , Strelets , M. and Allmaras , S.R. 1997 Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach First AFOSR International Conference on DNA/LES Ruston, Louisiana, USA
- STAR-CCM+ v7.02 user guide CD-adapco http://www.cd-adapco.com 2012
- Allen , R. , Mendonça , F. Kirkham , D. RANS and DES turbulence model predictions of noise on the M219 cavity at M=0.85 IJ Aeroacoustics 4 1+2 2005
- Mendonça , F. , Allen , R , de Charentenay , J. , Kirkham , D. CFD Prediction of Narrowband and Broadband cavity acoustics at M=0.85 AIAA-2003-3303, 9th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference June 2003
- Mendonça F. Industrial Aeroacoustics Analysis LES for Acoustics Heuttl, Wagner, Sageut 2007
- Mendonça , F. , Read , A. , Imada , F. , Girardi , V. et al. Efficient CFD Simulation Process for Aeroacoustic Driven Design SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0545 2010 10.4271/2010-36-0545