This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Methodology to Compute Temperatures of a Rotating Cardan Shaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a new numerical methodology to compute component temperatures of a rotating cardan shaft is described. In general temperatures of the cardan shaft are mainly dominated by radiation from the exhaust gas system and air temperatures in the transmission tunnel and underbody. While driving the cardan shaft is rotating. This yields a uniform temperature distribution of the circumference of the shaft. However most simulation approaches for heat protection are nowadays steady-state computations. In these simulations the rotation of the cardan shaft is not considered. In particular next to the exhaust gas system the distribution of the temperatures of the cardan shaft is not uniform but shows hot temperatures due to radiation at the side facing the exhaust gas system and lower temperatures at the other side. This paper describes a new computational approach that is averaging the radiative and convective heat fluxes circumferentially over bands of the cardan shaft. This yield a uniform distribution of relevant heat fluxes at the circumference of the rotating shaft. Based on these modified heat fluxes the temperature of the cardan shaft is computed considering as well conduction. The approach is validated within a special test rig. Temperatures of a rotating cardan shaft are measured by optical sensors. The comparison of measured and computed temperatures in the test rig shows a very good agreement. Therefore the new methodology will be used in the near future in full vehicle computations in the Vehicle Thermal Management (VTM) at the Mercedes-Benz Car Group. This methodology will be implemented into the commercial software STAR-CCM+ based on the work performed and described in this paper in the near future.
|Technical Paper||Photometric and Optical Methods of Lamp Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Automatic Wildfire Detection and Simulation using Optical Information from Unmanned Aerial Systems|
CitationReister, H., Weidmann, E., Walker, T., and Badarayani, S., "A Numerical Methodology to Compute Temperatures of a Rotating Cardan Shaft," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0843, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0843.
- Reister , H. and Bauer , W. Simulation Process of the Heat Protection of a Full Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0635 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0635
- Reister H. , Maihöfer M. Underhood component temperature analysis for passenger cars VTMS 6, C599/028/2003 Brighton 2003
- Bendell , E. Investigation of a Coupled CFD and Thermal Modelling Methodology for Prediction of Vehicle Underbody Temperatures SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2044 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2044
- Weidmann , Ernst Peter Experimentelle und theoretische Untersuchung des Nachheizverhaltens an Kraftfahrzeugen Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Verbrennungsmotoren und Kraftfahrwesen der Universität Stuttgart 37 Renningen 2008
- Pryor , J. , Pierce , M. , Fremond , E. , and Michou , Y. Development of Transient Simulation Methodologies for Underhood Hot Spot Analysis of a Truck SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0651 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0651
- Weidmann , E. , Binner , T. , and Reister , H. Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Thermal Soak SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 1 1 145 153 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0396
- Maihöfer , M. : Wittmeier , F. : Weidmann E. P. Numerical Simulation of the Transient Heat-up of an Engine Mount Wiedemann J. “Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management”, Proceedings of the 7th FKFS Conference expert Verlag Renningen 2010
- Bergström J. Virtual Wind Tunnel Testing Transient Simulations with RadTherm RadTherm UGM Böblingen 2004
- Perzon , S. On Solid Modelling In RadTherm RadTherm UGM Böblingen 2006
- Weidmann E. P. , Wiedemann J. , Binner T. , Reister H. Numerical Investigations of Thermal Soak VTMS8, IMECHE Nottingham 2007
- Weidmann E. P. , Scholl U. , Bauer W. , Maihöfer M. , Wiedemann J. A New CFD and Thermal Analysis Method Based On MpCCI Fisita World Congress 2006 Yokohama 2006