This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability Investigation on Aluminum Titanate-Diesel Particulate Filter Having Asymmetric Hexagonal Cell Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) requires higher capacity of ash materials, incombustible particulate matters derived from lubricant oil, engine wear, etc., for usage of long lifetime. Conventional DPF such as SiC-DPF has been developed by optimizing cell geometry as of octagonal inlet shapes and square outlet shapes, called as “Octosquare”. Thus-obtained SiC-DPF could improve the lifetime to previous type with square cell design. However, under ash/soot-loading, pressure drop between upstream and downstream DPF, involving in the fuel penalty for the vehicle itself, makes higher. On the other hand, it was previously proposed that aluminum titanate (AT) with hexagonal cell design shows lower pressure drop and higher endurance performance. The characteristic of the filter design consists of higher open frontal area, relating to higher ash capacity, and higher filtration area, enabling lower pressure drop with soot loading. This presentation describes ash/soot-accumulation behavior for AT-DPF with hexagonal cell design against that for SiC-DPF with octosquare cell design. It was clarified the superiority of AT-DPF under ash/soot accumulation, i.e., lower pressure drop over ash/soot loading, enabling the higher durability performance.
CitationIwasaki, K. and Shibuta, T., "Durability Investigation on Aluminum Titanate-Diesel Particulate Filter Having Asymmetric Hexagonal Cell Design," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0841, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0841.
- Fujii , S. and Asako , T. Development of Artificial Ash Accelerated Accumulation Test Method SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2171 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2171
- Fujii , S. and Asako , T. Design Optimization of Non-Catalyzed DPF from Viewpoint of Back Pressure in Ash loading State SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2091 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2091
- Sappok , A. , Kamp , C. , Dimou , I. , Munnis , S. , Wong , V. W. Key Parameters Affecting DPF Performance Degradation and Impact on Lifetime Fuel Economy 2011 Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) Conference
- Merkel , G. , Cutler , W. , and Warren , C. Thermal Durability of Wall-Flow Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0190 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0190
- O'Sullivan , D. , Pomeroy , M.J. , Hampshire , S. , Murtagh , M.J. Degradation resistance of silicon carbide diesel particulate filters to diesel fuel ash deposits J. Mater. Res. 19 10 Oct. 2004
- Ogyu , K. , Ohno , K. , Hong , S. , and Komori , T. Ash Storage Capacity Enhancement of Diesel Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0949 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0949
- Aravelli , K. and Heibel , A. Improved Lifetime Pressure Drop Management for Robust Cordierite (RC) Filters with Asymmetric Cell Technology (ACT) SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0920 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0920
- Iwasaki , K. Innovative Aluminum Titanate Based - Diesel Particulate Filter Having Asymmetric Hexagonal Cell Geometry SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0838 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0838
- Rocher , L. , Seguelong , T. , Harle , V. , Lallemand , M. et al. New Generation Fuel Borne Catalyst for Reliable DPF Operation in Globally Diverse Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0297 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0297