This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability of Filtration Layers Integrated into Diesel Particulate Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the durability of the filtration layer integrated into Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) that we have developed to ensure low pressure loss and high filtration efficiency performances which also meet emission regulations.
DPF samples were evaluated in regards to their performance deterioration which is brought about by ash loading and uncontrolled regeneration cycles, respectively. Ash was synthesized by using a diesel fuel/lubrication oil mixture and was trapped up to a level which corresponded to a 240,000km run, into the DPFs both with and without the filtration layer. Afterwards, aged-DPFs were measured with respect to their permeability, pressure loss, filtration efficiency, as well as soot oxidation speed using suitable analytical methods.
Consequently, it has been confirmed that there was no noteworthy deterioration of the performances in the DPF with the filtration layer. On the other hand, the ash particles changed the performance of the filtration-layer-free DPF and gradually made it to act like the DPF with filtration layer.
Secondly, in order to confirm the thermal robustness of the filtration layer, uncontrolled regeneration tests were conducted, which were meant to simulate the worst case scenario regarding DPF operation. As a consequence of these tests, no deterioration of the filtration performance was observed and it can thus be assumed that the filtration performance will not be an issue with respect to Particulate Matter (PM) emission regulations.
Throughout these aforementioned tests, we were able to conclude that the developed filtration layer is sufficiently durable and maintains its performance.
CitationIwata, H., Konstandopoulos, A., Nakamura, K., Kasuga, T. et al., "Durability of Filtration Layers Integrated into Diesel Particulate Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0837, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0837.
- Konstandopoulos , A.G. and Papaioannou , E. Update on the Science and Technology of Diesel particulate Filters KONA powder and Particle 26 2008
- Loeb , S. and Sourirajan , S. Adv. in Chem. Series 38 117 1962
- Yoshida , K. , Makino , S. , Sumiya , S. , Muramatsu , G. et al. Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Particulate Emissions from Diesel Engine Exhaust SAE Technical Paper 892046 1989 10.4271/892046
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Lorentzou , S. , Pagkoura , C. , and Boettcher , J. Advanced Catalyst Coating Technology for Porous Substrates SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1951 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1951
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Lorentzou , S. , Pagkoura , C. , Ohno , K. et al. Sustained Soot Oxidation in Catalytically Coated Filters SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1950 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1950
- Ogyu , K. , Oya , T. , Ohno , K. , and Konstandopoulos , A. Improving of the Filtration and Regeneration Performance by the Sic-DPF with the Layer Coating of PM Oxidation Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0621 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0621
- Mizuno , Y. , Miyairi , Y. , Katsube , F. , Ohara , E. et al. Study on Wall Pore Structure for Next Generation Diesel Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0618 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0618
- Konstandopoulos , A.G. , Kostoglou , M. , Lorentzou , S. , and Vlachos , N. Aspects of multifunctional diesel particulate filters and their efficient simulation Catal. Today 2012 188 1 2 13
- Nakamura , K. , Vlachos , N. , Konstandopoulos , A. , Iwata , H. et al. Performance Improvement of Diesel Particulate Filter by Layer Coating SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0842 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0842
- Merkel , G. , Cutler , W. , and Warren , C. Thermal Durability of Wall-Flow Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0190 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0190
- Fujii , S. and Asako , T. Design Optimization of Non-Catalyzed DPF from Viewpoint of Back Pressure in Ash loading State SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2091 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2091
- Dimou , I. , Sappok , A. , Wong , V. , Fujii , S. et al. Influence of Material Properties and Pore Design Parameters on Non-Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter Performance with Ash Accumulation SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1728 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1728
- Dittler , A. Ash Transport in Diesel Particle Filters SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1732 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1732
- Sutton , M. , Britton , N. , Otterholm , B. , Tengström , P. et al. Investigations into Lubricant Blocking of Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3013 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3013
- Zarvalis , D. , Lorentzou , S. , and Konstandopoulos , A. A Methodology for the Fast Evaluation of the Effect of Ash Aging on the Diesel Particulate Filter Performance SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0630 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0630
- Konstandopoulos , A. Flow Resistance Descriptors for Diesel Particulate Filters: Definitions, Measurements and Testing SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0846 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0846
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Zarvalis , D. , Kladopoulou , E. , and Dolios , I. A Multi-Reactor Assembly for Screening of Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0874 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0874