This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake Characteristics for a Bobtail Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Bobtail testing data published in the literature are limited and the difference in deceleration of a bobtail configuration compared to a tractor-trailer has not been fully evaluated in the past. The authors seek to increment and update previous research on the topic.
This paper presents detailed braking characteristic information obtained from full scale instrumented testing of a bobtail vehicle at various speeds. Brake timing is analyzed for the tested condition to determine the overall braking characteristics. The findings of this study are compared to 1) other testing performed with the same tractor configured with a trailer at different loading conditions and 2) to results published in literature for both bobtail vehicles and other loading conditions for both 6×4 and 4×2 tractor axle configurations.
The brake timing data were collected during several days of full scale instrumented testing of a tractor and semitrailer performed at the Transportation Research Center in East Liberty, Ohio. Instrumented braking tests were performed at two speeds of 13.4 m/s (30 mph) and 27 m/s (60 mph) for the three configurations discussed in this paper including a bobtail condition, an unloaded semitrailer configuration and a full gross weight semitrailer condition. These straight-line braking tests were performed on dry concrete surfaces.
CitationBayan, F., Cornetto, A., Dunn, A., Wahba, R. et al., "Brake Characteristics for a Bobtail Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0792, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0792.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Bartlett , W. Calculation of Heavy Truck Deceleration Based on Air Pressure Rise-Time and Brake Adjustment SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2632 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2632
- Dunn , A. , Tanner , C. , Morr , D. , Bayan , F. et al. The Influence of Disablement of Various Brakes on the Dry Stopping Performance and Stability of a Tractor-Semitrailer SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 1 1 16 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0099
- Dunn , Ashley L. , Hoover , Richard L. Class 8 Truck Tractor Braking Performance Improvement Study, Report 1, Straight Line Stopping Performance on a High Coefficient of Friction Surface DOT HS 809 700 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2004
- FMVSS No. 121 vehicle test procedure
- Heusser , R. Heavy Truck Deceleration Rates as a Function of Brake Adjustment SAE Technical Paper 910126 1991 10.4271/910126
- Hoover , R. , Zagorski , S. , and Van Buskirk , T. Air Disc and S-Cam Brake Stopping Performance Comparison for Class 8 Tractor and Trailer Combinations SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3614 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3614
- Kempf , R. MVMA/NHTSA/SAE Heavy Truck Round Robin Brake Test SAE Technical Paper 922484 1992 10.4271/922484
- Leasure , W. Jr. and Williams , S. Jr. Antilock Systems for Air-Braked Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 890113 1992 10.4271/890113
- Lewis , R. and Raymond , R. Stopping-Distance Analysis SAE Technical Paper 730193 1973 10.4271/730193
- Limpert , R. and Andrews , D. Analysis of Truck Braking Accidents SAE Technical Paper 870504 1987 10.4271/870504
- Maryland Commercial Vehicle License Manual Motor Vehicle Administration 2005 6 1
- Part 571 121 4
- Radlinski , R. Braking Performance of Heavy U.S. Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 870492 1987 10.4271/870492
- Radlinski , R.W. Braking Performance of Heavy Commercial Vehicles SAE Seminar December 2000
- Radlinski , Richard W. Electronically Controlled Braking Systems Performance Evaluation RAI-SAE-01/04 Federal Highway Administration 2003
- Reust , Timothy J. Instrumented Tractor-Trailer ABS Brake Test Class Project University of California Riverside 2002
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Braking Stability and Control Performance Test Procedures for Air-and Hydraulic-Brake-Equipped Trucks, Truck Tractors, and Buses SAE Standard J1626 May 2012
- Stopper , David A. Heavy Air Braked Vehicle Accident Reconstruction, Determining when a Wheel is Capable of Locking and Estimating Air Lag Time Based on Vehicle Weight
- Todorović , J. , Duboka , C. , and Suchy , W. The Influence of Mechanical Losses of Drum Brakes on the Braking Force Distribution SAE Technical Paper 892506 1989 10.4271/892506
- Zagorski , S. and Dunn , A. Braking of Commercial Vehicles Equipped with Air-Disc Brakes from High Speed - Effects on Stopping Distance SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0397 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0397
- Bayan , F. , Cornetto , A. , Dunn , A. , and Sauer , E. Brake Timing Measurements for a Tractor-Semitrailer Under Emergency Braking SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 2 245 255 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2918
- Bayan , F. , Cornetto , A. , Dunn , A. , Wahba , R. et al. Straight-Line Dry Tractor-Semitrailer Braking and Handling Comparison to HVE Computer SImulation SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1921 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1921