This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measuring and Modeling Suspensions of Passenger Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical parameters describing suspension stiffness and damping are required for 3D simulation of vehicle trajectories, but may not be available. This paper outlines a simple, portable method of measuring these properties with a coefficient of variation of 5% on stiffness. 24 of 26 vehicles tested were significantly stiffer in roll than pitch, complicating analyses with models that don't include anti-roll. Suspension parameters did not correlate with static wheel load distribution, and damping coefficient did not correlate with natural frequency.
Computer simulations of the speed required to initiate rollover in an S-curve were highly sensitive to the suspension parameters used. When pre-impact tire marks and rollover distance were considered, the simulations became almost insensitive to suspension parameters.
CitationHeinrichs, B., Goulet, J., Fix, R., and King, M., "Measuring and Modeling Suspensions of Passenger Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0774, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0774.
- Datentechnik , S. PC-Crash v. 9.1 Technical Manual Linz 2012
- Popp , K. and Schiehlen , W. Ground Vehicle Dynamics: A System Dynamics Approach Springer Berlin 3540240381 2010
- Akcay , H. Investigation of Vehicle Suspension Parameter Characteristics Master's Thesis Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge 1988
- Day , T. , Roberts , S. , and York , A. SIMON: A New Vehicle Simulation Model for Vehicle Design and Safety Research SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0503 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0503
- Dixon , J. Tires, Suspension and Handling Second Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-1-56091-831-8 1996 10.4271/R-168
- Karadayi , R. and Masada , G.Y. A Nonlinear Shock Absorber Model Symposium on Simulation and Control of Ground Vehicles and Transportation Systems The American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York 1986 80 149 165
- Reybrouck , K. A Non Linear Parametric Model of an Automotive Shock Absorber SAE Technical Paper 940869 1994 10.4271/940869
- Parry , I. Marsh , F. , and Cripps , N. Investigating the use of Simulation Model Non-Linear (SIMON) for the ‘Virtual Testing’ of Road Humps Engineering Dynamics Corporation WP# 2003-4, Engineering Dynamics Corporation 2003
- Ward , D. , Hanke , O. , Bertram , T. , Hiller , M. et al. A Generic Suspension Model for Middle Class Passenger Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1280 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1280
- Heinrichs , B. , Mac Giolla Ri , B. , and Hunter , R. Sensitivity of Collision Simulation Results to Initial Assumptions SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 2 807 832 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0604