This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrity Sensing with Smart Polymers and Rubber Components on Vehicles (i.e. Tires, Hoses, Seals)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research provides a capacitance based method for monitoring the integrity of tires and other polymeric products during manufacturing and throughout the useful product life. Tire and wheel failures and tire degradation were the reported cause for approximately 19320 vehicle crashes over a two and a half year period according to the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's 2008 survey. Tires are complex composite structures composed of layers of formulated cross-linked rubber, textiles, and steel reinforcement layers. Tire production requires precise manufacturing through chemical and mechanical methods to achieve secure attachment of all layers. Tires are subjected to a variety of harsh environments, experience heavy loads, intense wear, heat, and in many cases lack of maintenance. These conditions make tires extremely susceptible to damage. The sensor presented in this research utilizes the existing dielectric rubber and conductive steel belts within the tire to create a parallel plate capacitor which can detect the formation of gaps between layers due to a loss of cross-linking or environmental effects, cuts within a layer due to punctures or slicing, and decreased layer thickness due to overall wear. This system can alert the driver to tire problems before accidents occur increasing driver safety, improving quality control from the manufacturing site, and decreasing costs due to rim and frame damage and accidents caused by tire malfunctions. Overall, this research provides a mechanism for continuously monitoring tire stability and uses current tire materials for device construction. Similar technology on hoses, seals, and polymers has also been developed.
|Technical Paper||Twenty-Five Years of Progress in Tires for Earthmoving Equipment|
|Technical Paper||Design and Test of Pickup Truck Box Cover|
CitationNewell, B., Krutz, G., Harmeyer, K., and Holland, M., "Integrity Sensing with Smart Polymers and Rubber Components on Vehicles (i.e. Tires, Hoses, Seals)," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0742, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0742.
- Deckard , A. Life Sensing Hydraulic Hose MS unpublished thesis Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN 2004
- Deckard , A. and Krutz , G. Hydraulic Hose with Integral Life-Sensing Capability and Method Therefor U.S. Patent 7555936 July 7 2009
- Krutz , G , Harmeyer , K and Holland M. Structures with Integral Life-Sensing Capability U.S. Patent 7752904 July 13 2010
- Newell , B , Krutz , G , Gallien , T , Harmeyer , K , Holland , M , Brune , A , and Holland , Z. Capacitance Health Sensing in Fluid Power Components Proceedings of the 7th Annual FPNI PhD Symposium Reggio Emilia, Italy June 27 30 2012
- Gallien , T. Design and Evaluation of an Embedded Sensor in a Polymer Sealing Structure MS unpublished thesis Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN 2008
- Krutz , G , Harmeyer , K , Holland , M , and Gallien , T. Polymeric Structures and Methods for Producing and Monitoring Polymeric Structures U.S. Patent 7977952 July 12 2011
- Harmeyer , K. Design and Evaluation of an Embedded Sensor for Toroidal Structures MS unpublished thesis Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN 2007
- Holland , M. The Development of Signal Processing Circuitry for Embedded Capacitive Sensing Applications MS unpublished thesis Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN 2007
- Serway , R. A. Physics for Scientists & Engineers John Vondeling Publishing Philadelphia 0-53-4408427 1996
- Eaton Corporation Eaton Announces Breakthrough Hydraulic Hose Technology; The hose that Knows http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/OurCompany/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/PCT_260013 January 2012
- R&D 100 2012 R & D 100 Award Winners http://www.rdmag.com/articles/2012/06/2012-r-d-100-award-winners
- Harmeyer , K , Holland , M , and Krutz , G. Research into a system that can respond to major changes in tire structure has been undertaken, with a prototype tested and evaluated for its ability to sense external damage Tire Technology International June 2008