This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Subjective Evaluation of Advanced Driver Assistance by Evaluation of Standardized Driving Maneuvers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) for collision avoidance/mitigation have already demonstrated their benefit on vehicle safety. Often those systems have an additional functionality for comfort to assist the driver in non-critical driving.
The verification of ADAS functionality using different test scenarios is currently investigated in many different projects worldwide. A harmonization of test scenarios and evaluation criteria is not yet accomplished. Often, these test scenarios focus on objective collision avoidance and not on the subjective interaction between driver and vehicle.
The present study deals with the development of an experimental validation plan for the systems Automatic Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Lane Keeping Assist (LKA). Standardized driving maneuvers with two or more vehicles equipped with synchronized measurement are performed by professional test drivers. For this purpose selected public roads are used, and the different maneuvers are conducted avoiding critical situations.
The evaluation is carried out by several different standardized criteria. Subjective evaluations are correlated with objective results from the measurements and analyzed in a specially prepared evaluation sheet.
The present study summarizes the results of this evaluation using different vehicles equipped with relevant ADAS. The results show that there are significant differences in the ADAS behavior which are recognized and evaluated by the drivers. These results are used for future requirements in the vehicle development process.
The limitation of the present study is that the spread in evaluation of professional driver has not yet been investigated and correlated to standard driver behavior.
|Technical Paper||Validation of a Driver Recovery Model Using Real-World Road Departure Cases|
|Technical Paper||InterActive Cruise Control - A New Driver Interaction Concept for Adaptive Cruise Control Systems|
CitationBernsteiner, S., Lindvai-Soos, D., Holl, R., and Eichberger, A., "Subjective Evaluation of Advanced Driver Assistance by Evaluation of Standardized Driving Maneuvers," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0724, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0724.
- Testing and Evaluation Methods for ICT-based Safety Systems Deliverable D3.2 Final Testing Protocols eValue Project Report, Version 2.0 January 2011
- Schick , B. , Büttner , R. , Baltruschat , K. , Meier , G. , Jakob , H. Evaluation Methods of Functions and Quality for Driver Assistance Systems Erprobung und Simulation in der Fahrzeugentwicklung Würzburg Germany June 21 22 2007
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Lane Departure Warning System Confirmation Test March 2010
- Technical Committee ISO/TC 204 Intelligent transport systems - Lane departure warning systems - Performance requirements and test procedures First 2007
- Winner , H. , Hakuli , S. and Wolf , G. Handbuch Fahrerassistenzsysteme Vieweg+Teubner Wiesbaden 978-3-8348-1457-9 2012 10.1007/978-3- 8348-8619-4
- Freundt , D. , Lucas , B. LRR3 von Bosch - Long Range Radar Sensor für den stark wachsenden Markt der Fahrerassistenzsysteme Integrierte Sicherheit und Fahrerassistenzsysteme Germany October 29 30 2008
- Technical Committee ISO/TC 204 Intelligent transport systems - Full speed range adaptive cruise control (FSRA) systems - Performance requirements and test procedures First 2009
- Technical Committee ISO/TC 204 Intelligent transport systems - Adaptive Cruise Control systems - Performance requirements and test procedures International Standard ISO 15622:2010(E) Second 2010
- Kozak , K. , Pohl , J. , Birk , W. Greenberg , J. , Artz , B. Blommer , M. , Cathey , L. and Curry , R. Evaluation of Lane Departure Warnings for Drowsy Drivers Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 50th Annual Meeting 2400 2404 2006 10.1177/154193120605002211
- Gustafsson , F. Slip-based Tire-Road Friction Estimation Automatica 33 6 1087 1099 1997 10.1016/S0005-1098(97)00003-4