This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Inertial Sensing Based System for Lane Curvature Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, an inertial sensing based scheme without visual detection devices for lane curvature estimation is proposed. Our purpose is to obtain the lane curvature continuously when the visual signals are failed to use abruptly. Our proposed algorithm of lane curvature estimation is separated into three steps. The first step is to calculate the lane curvature through Ackermann steering principle after obtaining the speed and orientation of vehicle. In second step, the lane curvature function, which is formulated into quadratic form, is taken into account. After augmenting the vehicle position and lane curvature into a new augmented system, the state of lane curvature can be solved via some iterative mathematical technique. In this paper, an extended Kalman filter (EKF) method is employed to calculate the estimated lane curvature. However, both of the measured and estimated lane curvatures do not match the true curvature exactly. Therefore, a descriptive statistic technique is applied to obtain the evaluated lane curvature in the third step. The standard error of the mean of both measured and estimated lane curvature is ensured to be distributed in a range of Gaussian distribution, so that the evaluated lane curvature is approximated to the true curvature more exactly. Finally, the experimental results are demonstrated to verify the efficacy of our proposed method of lane curvature estimation.
CitationChen, S., Hsu, C., and Yu, K., "An Inertial Sensing Based System for Lane Curvature Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0689, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0689.
- Bishop , G. and Welch , G. An Introduction to the Kalman Filter University of North Carolina SIGGRAPH 2001 course notes AMC Inc. North Carolina 2001
- Chen , G. , Zong , C. , and Guo , X. Traction Control Logic Based on Extended Kalman Filter for Omni-directional Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0251 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0251
- Gao , X. and Yu , Z. Nonlinear Estimation of Vehicle Sideslip Angle Based on Adaptive Extended Kalman Filter SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0117 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0117
- Hayakawa , Y. , Sato , K. , Tabata , Y. , and Egawa , K. Design of a Lane Departure Prevention System with Enhanced Drivability SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 398 403 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0160
- Kadire , N. , Tkacik , P. , Merrill , Z. , and Nimmagadda , P. Sensing Proximity to Trailer Rollover: Theoretical and Experimental Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2873 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2873
- Madhavan , R. and Durrant-Whyte , H.F. Natural Landmark-based Autonomous Vehicle Navigation Robotics and Autonomous Systems 46 79 95 2004 10.1016/j.robot.2003.11.003
- Maeda , T. , Hu , Z. , Wang , C. , and Uchimura , K. High-speed Lane Detection for Road Geometry Estimation and Vehicle Localization Proceedings of 2008 SICE Annual Conference 860 865 2008 10.1109/SICE.2008.4654775
- McCall , J.C. and Trivedi , M.M. Video-based Lane Estimation and Tracking for Driver Assistance: Survey, System, and Evaluation IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 7 1 20 37 2006 10.1109/TITS.2006.869595
- Park , J. W. , Lee , J. W. , and Jhang , K. Y. A Lane-curve Detection Based on an LCF Pattern Recognition Letters 24 14 2301 2313 2003 10.1016/S0167-8655(03)00056-4
- Risack , R. , Mohler , N. , and Enkelmann , W. A Video-based Lane Keeping Assistant Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 356 361 2000 10.1109/IVS.2000.898369
- Roger , S. and Zhang W. Development and Evaluation of a Curve Rollover Warning System for Truck Proceedings of 2003 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 294 297 2003 10.1109/IVS.2003.1212925
- Tian , Y. Tatikonda , S , and Reinwald , B. Scalable and Numerically Stable Descriptive Statistic in SystemML Proceedings of IEEE 28 th International conference on Data Engineering (ICDE) 1351 1359 2012 10.1109/ICDE.2012.12