This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Unified Framework of Adaptive Cruise Control for Speed Limit Follower and Curve Speed Control Function
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today many vehicles are being developed with advanced computing and sensing technologies. These new technologies have contributed in enhancing driving safety and convenience. As an example, the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) can automatically adjust the vehicle speed to driver's set speed and maintain the driver-requested headway distance to the lead vehicle. In this paper, we further consider the automatic control of speed according to the road attributes, e.g., the speed limit and curve of the road. Two new features, ‘speed limit follower’ and ‘curve speed control’ algorithms, are proposed in this paper. These new features communicate with the conventional ACC system and control the vehicle speed while traveling across different curved roads and speed limit zones. These new features were developed as an independent function, so they can be integrated with any other existing ACC systems. The key enabler for these features is sensing the speed limit and the curvature of upcoming roads using the OnStar GPS and a digital Map. The speed planning algorithm determines the desired vehicle speed profile to provide smooth speed transition along the road curve and the speed limit changes. The vehicle control system regulates the speed of the vehicle according to the desired speed profile. The speed limit follower and the curve speed control algorithms are implemented into a test vehicle with the production cruise control module. The vehicle test results are provided at the end of the paper.
CitationLee, J. and Prabhuswamy, S., "A Unified Framework of Adaptive Cruise Control for Speed Limit Follower and Curve Speed Control Function," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0618, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0618.
- Xiao-Yun , L. , Hedrick J.K. , and Drew M. ACC/CACC-control design, stability and robust performance American Control Conference 2002 Proceedings of the 2002 2002
- Kawazoe , H. , Murakami , T. , Sadano , O. , Suda , K. et al. Development of a Lane-Keeping Support System SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0797 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0797
- Shimakage , M , Kawazoe , H. , Sadano , O. , and Murakami , T. Design of Lane-Keeping Control with Steering Torque Input for a Lane-Keeping Support System SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0480 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0480
- Lee , J.-W. and Litkouhi B. Control and Validation of Automated Lane Centering and Changing Maneuver ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference 2009 LA., California
- Lee , J.-W. and Litkouhi B. A unified framework of the automated lane centering/changing control for motion smoothness adaptation The 15th IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference 2012 Anchorage, Alaska