This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Virtual Approach for Optimization of Vehicle Sensitivity to Brake Torque Variation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Brake judder is a brake induced vibration that a vehicle driver experiences in the steering wheel or floor panel at highway speeds during vehicle deceleration. The primary cause of this disturbance phenomenon is the brake torque variation (BTV). Virtual CAE tools from both kinematics and compliance standpoints have been applied in analyzing sensitivities of the vehicle systems to BTV. This paper presents a recently developed analytical approach that identifies parameters of steering and suspension systems for achieving optimal settings that desensitize the vehicle response to BTV. The analytical steps of this integrated approach started with creating a lumped mass noise-vibration-harshness (NVH) control model and a separate multi-body dynamics (MBD) suspension model. Then, both models were linked to run in a sequence through optimization software so the results from the MBD model were used as quasi-static inputs to the lumped mass NVH model. Considering control factor parameters settings in the presence of noise factors, a case study revealed in this paper was conducted using Taguchi method for a Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) study. The benefit of this process is to design a robust system against BTV. This virtual optimization process can be implemented early during the vehicle design phase for performance target settings; it also provides tuning solutions for warranty reduction due to brake judder issues.
|Technical Paper||Multi-Disciplinary Robust Optimization for Performances of Noise & Vibration and Impact Hardness & Memory Shake|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Body Attachment for Road Noise Performance|
CitationZhang, B., Beyer, C., Pelkey, J., Whitehead, G. et al., "Integrated Virtual Approach for Optimization of Vehicle Sensitivity to Brake Torque Variation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0596, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0596.
- Jacobsson , H. Aspects of Disc Brake Judder Proc. Institution of Mech. Engineers, J. Automobile Engineering 217 419 430 2003
- Leslie , A. Mathematical Model of Brake Caliper to Determine Brake Torque Variation Associated with Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) Input SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2777 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2777
- Bosworth , R. The Application of Taguchi Methodology to Solving Steering Wheel Niggle Vibration Proc. Of Europn Auto Enginr Cooperation 2 nd Int'l Conf. on New Develpt in Powertrain & Chassis Eng'g. 347 360 1989
- Hwang , I-J. , and Park G-J. Mode and Design Sensitivity Analyses for Brake Judder Reduction Proc. Institution of Mech. Engineers, J. Automobile Engineering 222 1259 1272 2008
- Kim , H.S. , Kim , C.B. , and Yim , H.J. Quality Improvement for Brake Judder Using Design for Six Sigma with Response Surface Method and Sigma Based Robust Design Int'l J. Automotive Technology 4 4 193 201 2003
- AMESim Software Imagine Software Inc., LMS International Troy, MI 48098, USA 2012
- ADAMS/Chassis Software MSC Software Corporation Santa Ana, CA 92707, USA 2012
- Isight Software SIMULIA Providence, RI 02909, USA 2012