This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Modeling of Rear Subframe Under Different Loading Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, finite element methods are used to analyze the rear subframe for Chevrolet Malibu. Plasticity based material model along with dynamic and static analysis is used. Commercial software LS-DYNA is used to model the subframe. Half model for the subframe is used with the corresponding boundary conditions for our simulations. A material model based on power law is used to account for the material behavior in all simulations. Different loading conditions are used to analyze the subframe under normal driving conditions while the crash results are used to analyze the subframe under vehicle crash. This data is used to compare the performance and safety of the original stock car. A parametric study is also conducted to analyze the effect of material response by changing the material hardening properties. Results show that 1018 mild steel is the most suitable material under crash and normal loading conditions.
CitationAli, U. and Fraser, R., "Numerical Modeling of Rear Subframe Under Different Loading Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0571, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0571.
- Chen , X. , Mahmood , H. , Wagner , D. , and Baccouche , M. Aluminum Subframe Design for Crash Energy Management SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1775 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1775
- Triantos , D. and Michaels , M. Design and Fabrication of an Aluminum Engine Cradle for a General Motors Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0659 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0659
- EcoCAR 2: Plugging In to the Future About EcoCAR 2 www.ecocar2.org 2012
- Singh , G. , Cremasco , M. , Evenchick , E. , Lo , J. et al. The University of Waterloo Alternative Fuels Team's Approach to EcoCAR 2 SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1761 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1761
- Livermore Software Technology Corporation LS-DYNA Keyword User Manual Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2006
- Chollacoop N et al Effects of Power-Law plasticity on Deformation Fields underneath Vickers hardness Journal of Solid Mechanics and Material Engineering 2007
- Rossiter J , Inal Kaan , and Mishra Raj Numerical modeling of the failure of magnesium tubes under compressive loading Journal of Engineering Science and Technology 2011