This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle Resolved In-Cylinder NOx and Ion Current Measurements in a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper investigates the relationship between NOx and ion current measured inside the combustion chamber of a heavy duty diesel engine under different operating conditions. Nevertheless, ion current is a local signal, thus it is important to measure NOx concentrations at the same exact location of the ion current probe. A novel technique is developed to simultaneously sample in-cylinder NOx and measure the ion current signal by adapting gas sampling probes for ion sensing. The cycle-resolved traces for the rate of heat release, NO mole fraction and ion current were analyzed to determine the contribution of the premixed combustion and the mixing-diffusion controlled combustion on NO formation and ionization in diesel engines.
CitationEstefanous, F., Badawy, T., and Henein, N., "Cycle Resolved In-Cylinder NOx and Ion Current Measurements in a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0555, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0555.
- Saitzkoff, A., Reinmann, R., Mauss, F., and Glavmo, M., “In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 970857, 1997, doi: 10.4271/970857.
- Auzins, J., Johansson, H., and Nytomt, J., “Ion-Gap Sense in Misfire Detection, Knock and Engine Control,” SAE Technical Paper 950004, 1995, doi: 10.4271/950004.
- Eriksson, L., Nielsen, L., and Nytomt, J., “Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation,” SAE Technical Paper 960045, 1996, doi: 10.4271/960045.
- Spicher, U.and Bäcker, H., “Correlation of Flame Propagation and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Spark Ignited Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 902126, 1990, doi: 10.4271/902126.
- Saitzkoff, A., Reinmann, R., Berglind, T., and Glavmo, M., “An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 960337, 1996, doi: 10.4271/960337.
- Hurle, I., and Sugden, M., “Chemi-ionization of nitric oxide in flames containing hydrocarbon additives,” 12th Symposium (international) on Combustion, p. 387.
- Debrou, Goodings, and Bohme, “Flame ion probe of intermediate leading to NO in CH4-O2-N2 flames,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 39 No. 1, Sept. 1980.
- Naoumov, V., Demin, A., Andersson, I., and Sokolov, A., “Modeling of Combustion and Non-Equilibrium Ionization in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0009, 2002, doi: 10.4271/2002-01-0009.
- Naoumov, V., Demin, A., and Sokolov, A., “Numerical Study and Analysis of Pollutant Production and Emission Control Using Ion Current Prediction in the SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0724, 2003, doi: 10.4271/2003-01-0724.
- Förster, J., Günther, A., Ketterer, M., and Wald, K., “Ion Current Sensing for Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0204, 1999, doi: 10.4271/1999-01-0204.
- Henein, N., Bryzik, W., Abdel-Rehim, A., and Gupta, A., “Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):260-281, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0567.
- Reinmann, R., Saitzkoff, A., and Mauss, F., “Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 970856, 1997, doi: 10.4271/970856.
- Brown, R., and Eraslan, A., “Simulation of ionic structure in lean close to stoichiometric acetylene flames,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 73 No. 1, July 1988.
- Fialkov, A., “Investigations on ions in flames,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. Volume 23, p. 399-528, 1997.
- Badawy, T., Estefanous, F., Henein, N., “Simultaneous Ion Sensing and Gas Sampling in Combustion Systems,” International Patent Application PCT/US11/44141, 2011.
- Peckham, M., Hands, T., Burrell, J., Collings, N. et al., “Real Time In-Cylinder and Exhaust NO Measurements in a Production SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980400, 1998, doi: 10.4271/980400.
- Henein, N., Badawy, T., Rai, N., and Bryzik, W., “Ion current, Combustion and Emission Characteristics in an Automotive Common Rail Diesel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, doi: 10.1115/1.4004074.
- Olson, D., and Calcote, H. F., “Ions in fuel-rich and sooting acetylene and benzene flames,” Eighteenth Symposium (international) on Combustion, p. 453, 1981, doi: 10.1016/S0082-0784(81)80051-3.
- Schurov, S., Collings, N., Hands, T., Peckham, M. et al., “Fast Response NO/HC Measurements in the Cylinder and Exhaust Port of a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980788, 1998, doi: 10.4271/980788.