This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle-by-Cycle Soot Estimation in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Estimation of soot in real time would help in the development of engine controls during engine production to meet the emissions goals and for on-board diagnostics. This paper presents a new approach to the estimate the soot emissions from the ion current measured inside the cylinder during engine operation. The investigation was carried out on a 4.5L heavy duty, turbocharged diesel engine. The glow plug was modified to act as an ion current probe, in addition to its main function. Algorithms were developed for the ion current signal to estimate the soot formed on a cycle-by-cycle basis. A comparison was made between the estimated soot emissions and measurements made by using an opacity meter under steady state as well as under transient engine operating conditions.
In this research, a non-linear multiple regression model (NLMR) was used to estimate soot percentage from the ion current signal. The ion current signal acquired in each cycle was analyzed, and a number of characterization parameters were determined then the parameters were used as inputs to the NLMR model. In addition, a sensitivity analysis for these parameters was made in order to achieve soot estimation with high accuracy. After the regression was computed, the NLMR model was tested at various engine operating conditions. The results showed a fairly good agreement between the predicted and measured values.
CitationBadawy, T., Estefanous, F., and Henein, N., "Cycle-by-Cycle Soot Estimation in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0545, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0545.
- Cai, W. and Ma, L., “Numerical Investigation of an Optical Soot Sensor for Modern Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1514, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1514.
- Morgan, R., Gold, M., Laguitton, O., Crua, C. et al., “Characterisation of the Soot Formation Processes in a High Pressure Combusting Diesel Fuel Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3086, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3086.
- Diwakar R., and Singh, S., “NOx and soot reduction in diesel engine premixed charge compression ignition combustion: a computational investigation,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINE RESEARCH, Vol. 9, Issue 3, Pages. 195-214, 2008.
- Merkel, S., Eckert, P., Wagner, U., Velji, A. et al., “Investigation of a New Injection Strategy for Simultaneous Soot and NOx Reduction in a Diesel Engine with Direct Injection,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):1433-1442, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1790.
- Bobba, M., Musculus, M., and Neel, W., “Effect of Post Injections on In-Cylinder and Exhaust Soot for Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):496-516, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0612.
- Higashi, M., Uchida, S., Suzuki, N., and Fujii, K., “Soot elimination and NOx and SOx reduction in diesel-engine exhaust by a combination of discharge plasma and oil dynamics,” IEEE transactions on plasma science (0093-3813), 20 (1), p. 1.
- Wagner, U., Merkel, S., Eckert, P., and Spicher, U., “Comparative Study to Assess the Soot Reduction Potential of Different In-Cylinder Methods and Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment Systems for Direct Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4016, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4016.
- Ishizawa, T., Yamane, H., Sato, H., Sekiguchi, K. et al., “IP Filter with DOC-Integrated DPF for an Advanced PM Aftertreatment System (1): A Preliminary Evaluation,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0924, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0924.
- Singer, W., Schindler, W., and Friedl, H., “High Sensitive Smoke Measurement for Dynamic Engine Tests,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3077, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3077.
- Miers, S., Green, C., Meldrum, J., Lundberg, C. et al., “Measurement of Dry Soot and Particulate Matter from Two-Stroke and Four-Stroke Snowmobiles,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0042, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-32-0042.
- Li, W., Collins, J., Norbeck, J., Cocker, D. et al., “Assessment of Particulate Matter Emissions from a Sample of In-Use ULEV and SULEV Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1076, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1076.
- Inagaki, K., Takasu, S., and Nakakita, K., “In-cylinder Quantitative Soot Concentration Measurement By Laser-Induced Incandescence,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0508, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0508.
- Schraml, S., Heimgärtner, C., Will, S., Leipertz, A. et al., “Application of a New Soot Sensor for Exhaust Emission Control Based on Time Resolved Laser Induced Incandescence (TIRE-LII),” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2864, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2864.
- Zhao, H., and Ladommatos, N., “Optical diagnostics for soot and temperature measurement in diesel engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 24, Issue 3, Pages 221-255, 1998
- Kawano, D., Kawai, T., Naito, H., Goto, Y. et al., “Comparative Measurement of Nano-Particulates in Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas by Laser-Induced Incandescence (LII) and Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SMPS),” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1982, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1982.
- Johnson, T., Caldow, R., Pöcher, A., Mirme, A. et al., “A New Electrical Mobility Particle Sizer Spectrometer for Engine Exhaust Particle Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1341, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1341.
- Liu, Z., Thurow, E., Caldow, R., and Johnson, T., “Transient Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters as Measured by an Engine Exhaust Particle Size Spectrometer,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0185, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0185.
- Reavell, K., Hands, T., and Collings, N., “A Fast Response Particulate Spectrometer for Combustion Aerosols,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2714, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2714.
- Warey, A., Hendrix, B., Hall, M., and Nevius, T., “A New Sensor for On-Board Detection of Particulate Carbon Mass Emissions from Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2906, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2906.
- Warey, A. and Hall, M., “Performance Characteristics of a New On-Board Engine Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3792, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3792.
- Ochs, T., Schittenhelm, H., Genssle, A., and Kamp, B., “Particulate Matter Sensor for On Board Diagnostics (OBD) of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF),” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(1):61-69, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0307.
- Kondo, A., Yokoi, S., Sakurai, T., Nishikawa, S. et al., “New Particulate Matter Sensor for On Board Diagnosis,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):117-125, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0302.
- Yu, Fangqun, Lanni, Thomas, Frank, Brian, “Measurement of Ion Concentration in Gasolineand Diesel Engine Exhaust,” Atmospheric Environment 38 (2004) 1417-1423
- Glavmo, M., Spadafora, P., and Bosch, R., “Closed Loop Start of Combustion Control Utilizing Ionization Sensing in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0549, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0549.
- Kubach, H., Velji, A., Spicher, U., and Fischer, W., “Ion Current Measurement in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2922, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2922.
- Henein, N., Bryzik, W., Abdel-Rehim, A., and Gupta, A., “Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):260-281, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0567.
- Henein, N.A., Badawy, T., Rai, N., and Bryzik, W., “Ion Current, Combustion and Emission Characteristics in an Automotive Common Rail Diesel Engine,” ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine, Technical Paper ICEF2010-35123, 2010
- Estefanous, F. and Henein, N., “Multi Sensing Fuel Injector for Electronically Controlled Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0936, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0936.
- Badawy, T., Rai, N., Singh, J., Bryzik, W., and Henein, N., “Effect of design and operating parameters on the ion current in a single-cylinder diesel engine,” Int. J. Engine Res. Vol. 12, 2011
- Badawy, T., Shrestha, A., and Henein, N., “Detection of combustion resonance using an ion current sensor in diesel engines,” ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine, Technical Paper ICEF2011-60068, 2011
- Badawy, T., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., “Closed Loop Control Using Ion Current Signal in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2433, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2433.
- Montgomery, D. C., Peck, E. A., and Vining, G. G., “Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis,” Wiley interscience publication, 2011
- Pinheiro, J. C. and Bates, D. M., “Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS,” New York: Springer, 2000
- Gallant, A. R., “Nonlinear Regression,” The American Statistician 29, 73-81, 1975
- Gallant, A. R., “Nonlinear Statistical Models,” Wiley, New York, 1987
- Bostic, D.R., Watson, D.G., and Harrison, T.V., “Modeling NO Emissions of an Off-Road Diesel Engine Based on Emission Tests,” Agricultural Engineering International: The CIGR EJournal, Manuscript 1186, Vol. XI, 2009
- Estefanous, F., Badawy, T., and Henein, N., “Using Ion Current Signal for Soot and In-Cylinder Variable Measuring Techniques in Internal Combustion Engines and Methods for Doing The Same,” U.S Patent PCT/US2012/026873, 2012
- Heywood, J., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hills and Hall, London, ISBN0-07-100499-8, 1988
- Rakopoulos, C., Giakoumis, E., Hountalas, D., and Rakopoulos, D., “The Effect of Various Dynamic, Thermodynamic and Design Parameters on the Performance of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Operating under Transient Load Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0926, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0926.
- Johansson, M., Ehleskog, M., Gjirja, S., and Denbratt, I., “Effects of Varying Engine Settings on Combustion Parameters, Emissions, Soot and Temperature Distributions in Low Temperature Combustion of Fischer-Tropsch and Swedish Diesel Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2787, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2787.
- Shin, B. and Lee, J., “The Effects of Injection Parameters on a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine with TICS System,” SAE Technical Paper 981070, 1998, doi: 10.4271/981070.
- Lapuerta, M., Armas, O., and Hernández, J., “Effect of the Injection Parameters of a Common Rail Injection System on Diesel Combustion Through Thermodynamic Diagnosis,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0194, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0194.
- Mito, Y., Tanaka, D., Lee, S., Daisho, Y. et al., “The Effect of Intake, Injection Parameters and Fuel Properties on Diesel Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1793, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1793.
- Zhong, L., Singh, I., Han, J., Lai, M. et al., “Effect of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in the Injection Pressure in a Common Rail Diesel Injection System on Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0699, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0699.
- Henein, N., Singh, I., Zhong, L., Lai, M. et al., “New Integrated “O.P.E.R.A.S.” Strategies for Low Emissions in HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0261, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0261.
- Wallace, D.A., “Results of Measurements made with a Celesco/Berkeley Model 107 Smoke meter, Telonic/Berkeley UK Publication, 1977
- Eraslan, A. N., and Brown, R. C.,”Simulation of ionic structure in lean and close-to-stoichiometric acetylene flames,” Combustion and Flame 74, 1988
- Calcote, H.F., “Ion Production And Recombination in Flames,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, Volume 8, Issue 1, 1961
- Fialkov, A. B, “Investigations on ions in flames,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. (23), 1997
- Calcote, H. F., Olson, D. B., Keil, D. G., “Are Ions Important in Soot Formation?,” Energy and Fuels, 1988
- Calcote, H. F., “Ionic Mechanisms of Soot Formation,” Vol. 7, 1983
- Olson, D. B. and Calcote, H. F., “Ions in fuel-rich and sooting acetylene and benzene flames,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, Vol. 18, No. 1, 1981
- Calcote H. F., and Keil, D. G.,“The role of ions in soot formation,” Pure &App. Chern., Vol. 62, No. 5, 1990
- Hall-Roberts, V. J., Hayhurst, A. N., Knight, D. E., and Taylor, S. G., “The origin of soot in flames: is the nucleus an ion?,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 120, No. 4, 2000
- Calcote, H. F., “Comments on the origin of soot in flames: is the nucleus an ion? by V. J. Hall-Roberts, A. N. Hayhurst, D. E. Knight, and S. G. Taylor,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 126, No. 12, 2001