This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation into Particulate Matter Oxidation in a Catalyzed Particulate Filter with Biodiesel Blends on an Engine during Active Regeneration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Active regeneration experiments were carried out on a production 2007 Cummins 8.9L ISL engine and associated diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and catalyzed particulate filter (CPF) aftertreatment system. The effects of SME biodiesel blends were investigated to determine the particulate matter (PM) oxidation reaction rates for active regeneration. The experimental data from this study will also be used to calibrate the MTU-1D CPF model .
The experiments covered a range of CPF inlet temperatures using ULSD, B10, and B20 blends of biodiesel. The majority of the tests were performed at a CPF PM loading of 2.2 g/L with in-cylinder dosing, although 4.1 g/L and a post-turbo dosing injector were also investigated. The PM reaction rate was shown to increase with increasing percent biodiesel in the test fuel as well as increasing CPF temperature. Additionally, the effectiveness of PM oxidation at a constant CPF temperature (grams of PM oxidized per gallon of dosing fuel) increased with increasing percent biodiesel.
In an analysis of the CPF wall, cake, and channel resistance, it was determined that a correction factor was needed. This correction factor is thought to account for temperature and PM maldistribution in the CPF, exhaust flow maldistribution at the CPF inlet, and changing cake layer permeability during the active regeneration.
|Technical Paper||Catalyzed Particulate Filter Passive Oxidation Study with ULSD and Biodiesel Blended Fuel|
|Technical Paper||Quasi-Continuous Particle Trap Regeneration by Cerium-Additives|
CitationPidgeon, J., Johnson, J., and Naber, J., "An Experimental Investigation into Particulate Matter Oxidation in a Catalyzed Particulate Filter with Biodiesel Blends on an Engine during Active Regeneration," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0521, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0521.
- Premchand , K. , Johnson , J. , and Yang , S. Development of a 1-D Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter Model for Simulation of the Oxidation of Particulate Matter and Gaseous Species during Passive Oxidation and Active Regeneration SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1574 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1574
- Singh , P. , Thalagavara , A. , Naber , J. , Johnson , J. et al. An Experimental Study of Active Regeneration of an Advanced Catalyzed Particulate Filter by Diesel Fuel Injection Upstream of an Oxidation Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0879 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0879
- Chilumukuru , K. , Arasappa , R. , Johnson , J. , and Naber , J. An Experimental Study of Particulate Thermal Oxidation in a Catalyzed Filter During Active Regeneration SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1474 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1474
- Austin , G. , Naber , J. , Johnson , J. , and Hutton , C. Effects of Biodiesel Blends on Particulate Matter Oxidation in a Catalyzed Particulate Filter during Active Regeneration SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 194 218 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0557
- Williams , A. , McCormick , R. , Hayes , R. , Ireland , J. et al. Effect of Biodiesel Blends on Diesel Particulate Filter Performance SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3280 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3280
- Morcos , M. , Ayyappan , P. , and Harris , T. Characterization of DPF Ash for Development of DPF Regeneration Control and Ash Cleaning Requirements SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1248 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1248
- Poitras , M. , Rosenblatt , D. , Chan , T. , and Rideout , G. Impact of Varying Biodiesel Blends on Direct-Injection Light-Duty Diesel Engine Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1313 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1313
- Vertin , K. , He , S. , and Heibel , A. Impacts of B20 Biodiesel on Cordierite Diesel Particulate Filter Performance SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2736 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2736
- Maricq , M. , Giuliano , J. , Szente , J. , and Tennison , P. Effects of B20 versus ULSD Fuel on Diesel Engine PM Emissions and Aftertreatment Performance SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 581 596 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0790
- Shiel , K. , Naber , J. , Johnson , J. , and Hutton , C. Catalyzed Particulate Filter Passive Oxidation Study with ULSD and Biodiesel Blended Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0837 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0837
- Yezerets , A. , Currier , N. , and Eadler , H. Experimental Determination of the Kinetics of Diesel Soot Oxidation by O2 - Modeling Consequences SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0833 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0833
- Strzelec A , Toops T.J. , and Daw C.S. Impact of Biodiesel on the Oxidation Kinetics and Morphology of Diesel Particulate Technical Article at National Technical Meeting of the Combustion Institute 2011 http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/files/Pub29094.pdf
- Pidgeon J An Experimental Investigation into the Effects of Biodiesel Blends on Particulate Matter Oxidation in a Catalyzed Particulate Filter during Active Regeneration Master's Thesis Michigan Technological University 2013
- Surenhalli , H. , Premchand , K. , Johnson , J. , and Parker , G. Modeling Study of Active Regeneration of a Catalyzed Particulate Filter Using One-Dimensional DOC and CPF Models SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1242 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1242
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Kostoglou , M. , Skaperdas , E. , Papaioannou , E. et al. Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1016
- Hutton , C. , Johnson , J. , Naber , J. , and Keith , J. Procedure Development and Experimental Study of Passive Particulate Matter Oxidation in a Diesel Catalyzed Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0851 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0851