This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Passive Regeneration Response Characteristics of a DPF System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the passive regeneration behavior of diesel particulate filters (DPFS) with various PGM loadings under different engine operating conditions. Four wall-flow DPFs are used; one uncoated and three wash-coated with low, medium, and high PGM loadings, with and without an upstream diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC). DPFs with variable pre-soot loads are evaluated at two steady state temperatures (300°C and 400°C), as well as across three levels of transients based on the 13-mode ESC cycle. Passive regeneration rates are calculated based on pre and post soot gravimetric measurements along with accumulated soot mass rates for specified exhaust mass flow rates and temperatures. Results illustrate the effect of temperature, NO₂ content, and soot loading on passive regeneration without upstream DOCs or DPF wash coatings. Passive regeneration rates are quantified across several engine operating conditions, comparing sensitivities and providing calibration inputs for backpressure response modeling, as demonstrated with GT Power.
|Technical Paper||DPF Soot Estimation Challenges and Mitigation Strategies and Assessment of Available DPF Technologies|
|Journal Article||The Effect of HCHO Addition on Combustion in an Optically Accessible Diesel Engine Fueled with JP-8|
CitationKotrba, A., Gardner, T., Bai, L., and Yetkin, A., "Passive Regeneration Response Characteristics of a DPF System," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0520, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0520.
- Kotrba , A. , Bai , L. , Yetkin , A. , Shotwell , R. et al. DPF Regeneration Response: Coupling Various DPFs with a Thermal Regeneration Unit to Assess System Behaviors SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2200 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2200
- Nickolas , S. , White , A. , Kotrba , A. , and Yetkin , A. Engine Tests of an Active Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1089 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1089
- Warner , J. , Dobson , D. , and Cavataio , G. A Study of Active and Passive Regeneration Using Laboratory Generated Soot on a Variety of SiC Diesel Particulate Filter Formulations SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 149 164 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0533
- Boger , T. , Rose , D. , Tilgner , I. , and Heibel , A. Regeneration Strategies for an Enhanced Thermal Management of Oxide Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 162 172 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0328
- Flörchinger , P. , Zink , U. , Cutler , W. , and Tomazic , D. DPF Regeneration-Concept to Avoid Uncontrolled Regeneration During Idle SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2657 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2657
- Zhan , R. , Huang , Y. , and Khair , M. Methodologies to Control DPF Uncontrolled Regenerations SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1090 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1090
- Johnson Tim Vehicle Emissions Review 2011 DEER Conference
- Kong , Y. , Kozakiewicz , T. , Johnson , R. , Huffmeyer , C. et al. Active DPF Regeneration for 2007 Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3509 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3509
- Joshi , A. , Chatterjee , S. , Sawant , A. , Akerlund , C. et al. Development of an Actively Regenerating DPF System for Retrofit Applications SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3553 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3553
- Schmidt , N. , Root , T. , Wirojsakunchai , E. , Schroeder , E. et al. Detailed Diesel Exhaust Particulate Characterization and DPF Regeneration Behavior Measurements for Two Different Regeneration Systems SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1063 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1063
- Rose , D. and Boger , T. Different Approaches to Soot Estimation as Key Requirement for DPF Applications SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1262 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1262
- Sappok , A. and Wong , V. Ash Effects on Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Drop Sensitivity to Soot and Implications for Regeneration Frequency and DPF Control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 380 396 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0811
- Mizutani , T. , Ito , M. , Masukawa , N. , Ichikawa , S. et al. The Study for Structural Design of the Segmented SiC-DPF SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1527 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1527
- Paterson , C. , Van Dyne , E. , and Stanglmaier , R. Development of a Diesel Particulate Filter Burner Control System for Active Trap Regeneration SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1064 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1064
- Gamma Technologies GTSuite Exhaust Aftertreatment Application Manual September 2009