This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field Testing of High Biodiesel Blends on Engine and Aftertreatement Durability, Performance, and Maintenance in an On-Highway Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper features an application study on the impact of different blend levels of commercially-supplied biodiesel on engine and aftertreatment systems' durability and reliability as well as the impact on owning and operating factors: service intervals and fuel economy. The study was conducted on a bus application with a 2007 on highway emissions equipped engine running biodiesel blends of B5, B20, and B99 for a total period approaching 4500 hours. Biodiesel of waste cooking grease feedstock was used for the majority of the testing, including B5 and B20 blends. Biodiesel of soybean feedstock was used for testing on B99 blend.
No negative impacts on engine and aftertreatment performance and durability or indication of future potential issues were found when using B5 and B20.
For B99 measurable impacts on engine and aftertreatment performance and owning and operating cost were observed. Fuel economy was negatively impacted by the reduced fuel energy content (expected result) and by high back pressure, caused by high ash levels generated from fuel that was out of specification. The high ash levels negatively impact the DPF ash service interval. Finally, the fuel injectors also showed signs of accelerated delivery loss attributed to the oxidation stability levels being near or below specification limits.
The B99 results further support the importance of validating that biodiesel fuel, at a minimum, meets ASTM D6751 standards before use. Even when B99 meets standards requirements, the results presented support fuel economy and ash service interval will still be negatively impacted, but to a lesser extent
CitationLeustek, M., Charbonnel, S., Parsons, J., and Abi-Akar, H., "Field Testing of High Biodiesel Blends on Engine and Aftertreatement Durability, Performance, and Maintenance in an On-Highway Application," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0511, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0511.
Exhaust Emission Control, 2013
Number: SP-2338; Published: 2013-04-09
Number: SP-2338; Published: 2013-04-09
- Chase , C. , Peterson , C. , Lowe , G. , Mann , P. et al. A 322,000 kilometer (200,000 mile) Over the Road Test with HySEE Biodiesel in a Heavy Duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2647 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2647
- Fraer , R. , Dinh , H. , Proc , K. , McCormick , R. et al. Operating Experience and Teardown Analysis for Engines Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20) SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3641 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3641
- Proc , K. , Barnitt , R. , Hayes , R. , Ratcliff , M. et al. 100,000-Mile Evaluation of Transit Buses Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20) SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3253 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3253
- Bartoli , Y. , Lyford-Pike , E. , Lucke , J. , Khalek , I. et al. 1000-Hour Durability Evaluation of a Prototype 2007 Diesel Engine with Aftertreatment Using B20 Biodiesel Fuel SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 2 290 304 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2803
- Tormos , B. , Macian , V. , Gargar , K. , and Redon , P. Results of an Operating Experience for Urban Buses Fuelled with Biodiesel Blends (B50) SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1827 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1827
- Winther , K. Large Scale Fleet Demonstration of TME Biodiesel in Northern Europe SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0474 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0474
- Bermudez , V. , Tormos , B. , Garcia , A. , and Linares , W. Performance Evaluation and Components Behavior of Light Duty Diesel Engine after 300 Hours Test Fuelled with Pure Biodiesel: Effects on Reliability and Durability SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0865 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0865
- McCormick , R.L. et al. Survey of the Quality and Stability of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends in the United States in 2004 National Renewable Energy Laboratory http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/38836.pdf 2005
- Alleman T. L. and McCormick R. L. Results of the 2007 B100 Quality Survey National Renewable Energy Laboratory http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/42787.pdf 2008
- Parsons , G 2007 2010 Biodiesel and Engine Lubrication, “Lubrication,” http://www.ehwolf.com/Oct_07_Lubrication_Mag(biodiesel).pdf 2007
- Bittle , J. , Younger , J. , and Jacobs , T. Biodiesel Effects on Influencing Parameters of Brake Fuel Conversion Efficiency in a Medium Duty Diesel Engine ASME 2009 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference (ICES2009) 2009