This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preview based Vehicle Steering Control using Neural Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The motion of a vehicle along a desired path is possible due to steering action of the driver. Hence, vehicle dynamics and control simulations should take into consideration the action of the driver. This work presents a preview based vehicle steering controller using Neural Networks which can be used in the vehicle lateral dynamics simulations. The training data for the Neural Network is being obtained using a steering controller from the existing literature and its gains are determined using Optimization. Three different architectures are being designed and conclusions are presented. These Neural Network models are validated by testing against real track data.
CitationTalukdar, S., Awan, M., Tremlett, A., Sastry, V. et al., "Preview based Vehicle Steering Control using Neural Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0409, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0409.
- Sharp , R. S. , Casanova , D. , and Symonds , P. A Mathematical Model for Driver Steering Control, with Design, Tuning and Performance Results Vehicle System Dynamics: International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 33 5 289 326 2010 10.1076/0042-3114(200005)33:5;1-Q;FT289
- Fenton , R.E. , Melocik , G.C. , and Olson , K. W. On the Steering of Automated Vehicles: Theory and Experiment IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 21 3 306 315 1976
- MacAdam , C.C. Application of an Optimal Preview Control for Simulation of Closed-Loop Automobile Driving IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 11 6 393 399 1981
- Takaba , K. A Tutorial on Preview Control Systems SICE Annual Conference Fukui, Japan August 4 6 2003
- Shladover , S. , Desoer , C.A. , Hedric , J. K. et al. Automatic Vehicle Control Developments in the PATH Program IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 40 1 114 130 1991
- Peng , H. , and Tomizuka , M. Preview Control for Lateral Vehicle Guidance in Highway Automation Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 115 4 679 686 1992 10.1115/1.2899196
- Peng , H. , Zheng , W. , Tomizuka , M. , and Shladover , S. A Reusability Study of Vehicle Lateral Control System Vehicle System Dynamics: International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 23 1 259 278 1994 10.1080/00423119408969061
- Zhang , W. J. , Tang , P. , and Lin , Y. Artificial Neural Network Modelling of Driver Handling Behaviour in a Driver-Vehicle-Environment International Journal of Vehicle Design 37 1 24 45 2005 10.1504/IJVD.2005.006087
- Zhang , W. J. A Remark on Modeling of Complex Systems Technical Report (AEDL-WJZ-2003-02) Advanced Engineering Design Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan 2003
- Hagan , M. T. , Demuth , H. B. , and Beale , M. H. Neural Network Design PWS Pub. Co. 0534943322 1995
- Ross , T. J. Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 978-0-470-74376-8 2010
- MacAdam , C.C. , and Johnson , G.E. Application of Elementary Neural Networks and Preview Sensors for Representing Driver Steering Control Behaviour Vehicle System Dynamics: International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 25 1 3 30 1996 10.1080/00423119608968955
- Hessberg , T. and Tomizuka , M. Fuzzy logic control for lateral vehicle guidance Control Systems, IEEE 14 4 55 63 1994
- Milliken , W. and Milliken , D. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-1-56091-526-3 1994
- Abe , M. Vehicle Handling Dynamics Theory and Application Butterworth Heinemann Oxford 978-93-80931-09-8 2009
- Ogata , K. Modern Control Engineering Prentice Hall 0136156738 2010