This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Thermal Fatigue Evaluation Method for Cast Iron
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We have developed a new test method in which temperature of cavity lip of a piston alone during engine rotation is reproduced, cavity lip strain is measured. As the results of strain measurement using the test method in a condition that simulates of conventional engines, a strain behavior was out-of-phase. And in a condition that simulates of high-load engines in future, strain behavior was clockwise-diamond cycle. It was found from the result of the test method developed that strain increased on the cavity lip. The fatigue life of the cavity lip was evaluated using the strain measured and isothermal fatigue curves which obtained by the strain controlled isothermal fatigue test. The result of engine durability test has revealed that the developed method was valid for thermal fatigue evaluation of the cavity lip.
CitationSasaki, Y. and Katori, N., "Investigation of Thermal Fatigue Evaluation Method for Cast Iron," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0393, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0393.
- Chiburi, H., Yamamoto, K., Kajiwara, H., Yamane, M., Metoki, S., “A Study of Material Behavior and Thermal Fatigue Analysis for Cast-iron Cylinder Head,” HINO TECHNICAL REVIEW, No.61, pp.53-58 (2010).
- Kuroda, Y., Iga, A., Seo, K., “Consideration on Regard to Fatigue Safety Life in Operating Condition of Diesel Engine Cylinder Head,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.70, No.695, pp.240-248 2004.
- Uchikura, M., Matsui, T., “Life Prediction of Thermal Fatigue for Cylinder Head,” Proceedings of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, No.961, pp.315-318 (1996).
- Shimamoto, T., Oomi, R., “Thermal Analysis and Development of Evaluation Method of Exhaust Manifold,” Mitsubishi Motors Technical Review, No.11, pp.39-45 (1999).
- Kuroda, Y., Iga, A., Seo, K., “Experimental Study on Regard to Stress and Strain in Operating Condition of Diesel Engine Cylinder Head,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.69, No.686, pp.212-219 2003.
- Kato, N., Arai, T., Shiraki, K., Tsukahara, H., “Application of Power-Unit CAE for New Generation Horizontally-Opposed Gasoline Engine,” SUBARU Technical Revew, No.38, pp.71-75 (2011).
- Iwabuchi, Y., Kobayashi, I., Narita, H., Takenouchi, T., “Low-Ductility Intergranular Fracture of Ferritic Ductile Cast Iron at Elevated Temperature,” JOURNAL OF JAPAN FOUNDRY ENGINEERING SOCIETY, Vol.68, No3, pp.209-215(1996)
- Oouchida, H. et al., “Metallic Material, Fatigue Strength Design Documents4,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp.4 (2008)
- Takanezawa, M., Kobayashi, Y., Tomoda, Y., “Fracture Mechanism and Suppression Method of 673K Embrittlement in Spheroidal Graphite Cast Iron,” JOURNAL OF JAPAN FOUNDRY ENGINEERING SOCIETY, Vol.69, No.1, pp.41-48 (1997)
- Nakazawa, H. et al., “Metallic Material, Fatigue Strength Design Documents1,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp.3 (2007)
- Ito, K., “Heat Resistant Casting Materials for Exhaust Components of High Temperature Exhaust Gas Engine,” HITACHI REVIEW, Vol.89, No.09, pp64-69
- Mikami, S., Ogino, K., Sorazawa, M., “Prediction Method of Low-cycle Fatigue Breakdown in HSDI Deisel Cylinder Head,” Honda R&D Technical Review, Vol.22, No.2, pp.141-150(2010)
- Okazaki, M. et al., “High Temperature Strength of Materials,” The Society of Materials Science, Japan, ISBN 978-4-901381-31-4, pp.251-255(2010)
- Nakadai, M., Kitagawa, M., Fukuhara, Y., Oohama, S., “Thermal Fatigue Properties and High Temperature Low Cycle Fatigue Properties of Spheroidal Graphite Cast Iron,” TETSU-TO-HAGANE, Vol.70, No.13, pp.178(1984)
- Iwanaga, S., Sakakibara, Y., Miyoshi, T., Saruki, K., “Thermal Fatigue Strength of Gray Cast Iron,” Journal of the Society of Materials Science, Japan, Vol.32, N0.357, pp.678-682(1983)