This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Al-B 4 C Particulate Reinforced Composites Produced by Powder Metallurgy Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs) have been widely investigated and applied due to their advantages of improved strength, stiffness and increased wear resistance over the unreinforced alloys in automobile industries. MMCs are the type of materials which can be designed to combine the strength, ductility and formability of metallic alloys with the non-metallic compounds such as silicon carbide, aluminum oxide and boron carbide. This paper investigates dry sliding wear behavior of aluminum (Al) matrix (MMCs) reinforced with different amounts (3, 6, and 9 wt%) of B₄Cp processed using pressureless sintering at 550°C under argon atmosphere. Wear tests were performed on a pin-on-disk configuration against SAE 1040 steel counter body under constant load and sliding speed. The relationship between wear resistance and wear mechanism were investigated. The influence of wetting characteristics of B₄Cp by the matrix was also evaluated. Worn surfaces of composites were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) technique in order to identify dominant wear mechanism of the produced composite material. Microstructural studies conducted on the composites indicated that homogeneous distribution of the B₄C particles in the Al matrix and a good interface between them had been achieved. According to pin on disc wear test results wear resistance of composite increased with increasing B₄C particle content.
CitationGuleryuz, F., Uzunsoy, D., and Ipek, R., "Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Al-B4C Particulate Reinforced Composites Produced by Powder Metallurgy Method," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0379, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0379.
- Tsunemichi , I. , JianFu , M. , Shangli , D. , Ichinori , S. , Naobumi , S. and Gilles , L. High strain rate superplasticity of TiC particulate reinforced 2014 aluminum alloy composites Materials Science and Engineering A 364 281 286 2004
- Callister , W. D. Materials Science and Engineering an Introduction John Wiley USA 2007
- Kennedy , AR. The microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-Si-B 4 C metal matrix composites J Mater Sci 37 317 323 2002
- Kennedy , AR. The reactive and incorporation of B 4 C particles into molten aluminum Scripta Mater 44 1077 1082 2001
- Beidler , C.J. , Hauth , W.E. and Goel , A. Development of a B 4 C/Al cermet for use as an improved structural neutron absorber J. Test. Eval. 20 67 70 1992
- Blumenthal , W. R. , Gray , G. T. III , and Claytor , T. N. Response of aluminium-infiltrated boron carbide cermets to shock wave loading J. Mater. Sci. 29 4567 4576 1994
- Arslan G. , Kara , F. ve Turan , S. Reaction Model for the Boron Carbide/aluminium System Key Eng. Mat. 264 268 1059 1062 2004
- Zhang , J. and Alpas , A.T. Delamination wear in ductile materials containing second phase particles Mater. Sci. Eng. A 160 A 25 35 1993
- Perrin , C. and Rainforth , W.M. The effect of alumina fiber reinforcement on the wear of an Al-4.3% Cu alloy Wear 181-183 312 324 1995
- Sannino , A.P. and Rack , H.J. Dry sliding wear of discontinuously reinforced aluminum composites: review and discussion Wear 189 1 19 1995
- Chen , R. , Iwabuchi , A. , Shimizu , T. and Mifune , H. The sliding wear resistance of NiAl and SiC particle reinforced aluminum alloy matrix composite Wear 213 175 184 1997
- Chandrashekharaiah , TM. and Kori SA. Effect of grain refiner and modification on the dry sliding wear behavior of eutectic Al-Si alloys Tribol Int. 42 59 65 2000
- Prasad , BK. , Venkateswarlu , K. , Modi , OP. , Jha , AK. , Das , S. , Dasgupta , R. and Yegneswaran , AH. Sliding wear behavior of some Al-Si alloys: role of shapeand size of Si particles and test conditions Metall Mater Trans A 29 2747 52 1998
- ASTM G99-95a Standard Test Method for Wear Testing with a Pin-on-Disk Apparatus 2000
- Guleryuz , L.F. , Cıblak , N. , Uzunsoy , D. and Ipek , R. An Investıgatıon of microstructure and mechanical properties of Al matrix composites reinforced with B 4 C P particulates manufactured by powder metallurgy method EPMA proceedings 4 79 86 2010