This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Slip and Lock up Control of Torque Converter clutch at Launching Conditions and Its Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
According to the low efficiency of vehicle equipped with automotive transmission (AT) at launching conditions, the TCCs slip and lock up control technology was proposed and a TCC simulation model was established. The vehicle dynamics, torque fluctuation and efficiency were analyzed. Simulation results were obtained when taking the constant engine speed as the control target. The three-dimensional transient heat conduction finite element model using CFX was built. The slipping power was calculated and was converted to heat flux on the surface of TCCs friction plate model. The temperature of TCCs friction plate was obtained at different ATF oil temperature. Simulation results show that the TCCs slip and lock-up control technology at launching conditions can effectively solve the vehicles low efficiency problems caused by torque converter (TC). The maximum temperature rise of TCCs friction plate was 20°C. The TCCs slip and lock up control can be carried out with the temperature of TCCs friction plate within the allowable range when the ATF oil temperature is low; The TCCs slip and lock up control is no suitable because of high temperature of TCCs friction plate which exceeds its allowable when the ATF oil temperature reaches 100°C.
CitationLiu, Z., Lei, Y., Zheng, H., Fu, Y. et al., "Slip and Lock up Control of Torque Converter clutch at Launching Conditions and Its Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0357, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0357.
- Ochi, T., Takeuchi, H., Kimura, H., and Watanabe, K., “Development of a Super-Flat Torque Converter for the New Toyota FWD 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0149, 2006: doi: 10.4271/2006- 01-0149.
- Tai Z, Anlin G, Chunxue T. et al. “Dynamic Characteristics Study on Automated Mechanical Transmission Lock-Up and Slip Hydraulic Control System of Off-Road Vehicle”. Automobile Technology, 2007(1):20-24.
- Qinghong C, Datong Q, Xin Y. “Slip Press Optimal Control and Simulink of Lock-up Clutch”. Journal of System Simulation, 2010, 22(3):699-703
- Yulong L, Anlin G, Yongjun L. “Clutch Control Strategy in starting Process”. Automotive Engineering. 2000, 22(4):266-270.
- EJIRI Riji. “Analysis of Flow in the Lock-up Clutch of an Automotive Torque Converter”. JSME International Journal, 2006, 29(1):131-141.
- Bing R, Kainian C. Analysis of the thermal-structure coupling on the friction plate of the disc brake [J]. Machinery Design & Manufacture. 2010, 7:195-197
- Yunhai J, Wenming Z. Research on Friction Disk Surface Oil Groove Configuration and Temperature Raise in Wet Friction Clutch [J]. China Journal of Highway and Transport. 2007, 38 (2):44-48.