This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle System Control for Start-Stop Powertrains with Automatic Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The 2013 Ford Fusion will be launched with an optional automatic engine start-stop feature. To realize engine start-stop on a vehicle equipped with a conventional powertrain, there are two major challenges in the vehicle system controls. First, the propulsive torque delivery from a stopped engine has to be fast. The vehicle launch delay has to be minimized such that the corporate vehicle attributes can be met. Second, the fuel economy improvement offered by this technology has to justify the cost associated with it. In pursuing fuel economy, the driver's comfort and convenience should be minimally impacted. To tackle these challenges, a vehicle system control strategy has been developed to accurately interpret the driver's intent, monitor the vehicle subsystem's power demands, schedule engine automatic stop and re-start, and coordinate the fast and smooth torque delivery to the wheels. Vehicle tests have shown that the start-stop feature provides a seamless stop-start operation while introducing minimal intrusion to the driving experience. The start-stop technology improves fuel economy by 3.5% on average.
CitationWang, X., McGee, R., and Kuang, M., "Vehicle System Control for Start-Stop Powertrains with Automatic Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0347, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0347.
- Morey , B. EcoBoost, DCTs, and Stop-Start for the Masses Automotive Engineering 118 4 28 2010
- The United States Department of Treasury A new economic analysis of infrastructure investment 2012
- Colwell , K. C. Engine Stop-Start Systems on Nonhybrid Vehicles Car and Driver 2011
- Gao , B. , Svancara , K. , Walker , A. , Kok , D. , Conen , M. and Kees , D. Development of a BISG Micro-Hybrid System SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1330 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1330
- Sakai , K. , Asada , T. , Sugimura , K. , and Nagata , R. Development of Permanently Engaged Gear Mechanism for Idle Stop JSAE Technical Paper No. 20095042 2009
- Exhibition Tandem Solenoid (TS) Starter for Stop/Start Systems Denso Corporation 2012
- Dhand , A. , Cho , B. , Walker , A. , Kok , D. , Burgess , M. , Semar , B. Optimization Potential of the Vehicle Launch Performance for Start-Stop Micro-Hybrid Journal of Automobile Engineering 224 D8 1059 2010
- Prema , M. , Syed F. , McGee , R. , Davies , K. L Method and System for Determining Engine State of a Hybrid Electric Vehicle US Patent 7197382 Mar. 2007