This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Novel Approach for Non-Intrusive Closed-Loop Heat Release Estimation in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the past years, policies affecting pollutant emissions control for Diesel engines have become more and more restrictive. In order to meet such requirements, innovative combustion control methods have currently become a key factor. Several studies demonstrate that the desired pollutant emission reduction can be achieved through a closed-loop combustion control based on in-cylinder pressure processing. Nevertheless, despite the fact that cylinder pressure sensors for on-board application have been recently developed, large scale deployment of such systems is currently hindered by unsatisfactory long term reliability and high costs. Whereas both the accuracy and the reliability of pressure measurement could be improved in future years, pressure sensors would still be a considerable part of the cost of the entire engine management system. In the light of these remarks, and especially with regard to light duty applications, research is being conducted in order to develop non-intrusive methodologies for the extraction of relevant information about the combustion process.
This work presents a methodology for heat release estimation through a proper analysis of the signals coming from a set of accelerometers and the engine speed sensor already present on-board. The presented algorithm is mainly composed of two steps: the first step is an open-loop pressure estimation based on a zero-dimensional model of the combustion process, while the second one consists in a closed-loop correction based on the analysis of the signals coming from the above mentioned sensors.
This paper also reports the results obtained applying the whole estimation methodology to a light-duty turbocharged Common Rail Diesel engine.
CitationPonti, F., Ravaglioli, V., Corti, E., Moro, D. et al., "Development of a Novel Approach for Non-Intrusive Closed-Loop Heat Release Estimation in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0314, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0314.
- Kimura , S. , Aoki , O. , Kitahara , Y. , and Aiyoshizawa , E. , Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0200
- Schten , K. , Ripley , G. , Punater , A. , and Erickson , C. , Design of an Automotive Grade Controller for In-Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Development SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0774 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0774
- Schnorbus , T. , Pischinger , S. , Körfer , T. , Lamping , M. et al. Diesel Combustion Control with Closed-Loop Control of the Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0651 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0651
- Ponti , F. , In-Cylinder Pressure Measurement: Requirements for On-Board Engine Control Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power 130 3
- Azzoni , P. , Moro , D. , Ponti , F. , and Rizzoni , G. , Engine and Load Torque Estimation with Application to Electronic Throttle Control SAE Technical Paper 980795 1998 10.4271/980795
- Polonowski , C. , Mathur , V. , Naber , J. , and Blough , J. , Accelerometer Based Sensing of Combustion in a High Speed HPCR Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0972 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0972
- Arnone , L. , Boni , M. , Manelli , S. , Chiavola , O. et al. Block Vibration Measurements for Combustion Diagnosis in Multi-Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0646 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0646
- Morello , A. , Blough , J. , Naber , J. , and Jia , L. , Signal Processing Parameters for Estimation of the Diesel Engine Combustion Signature SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 2 1201 1215 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1649
- Larsson , S. , and Andersson , I. , Self-optimising control of an SI- engine using a torque sensor Control Engineering Practice 16 5 505 514 10.1016/j.conengprac.2007.05.009
- Andersson , I. , Thor , M. , and McKelvey , T. , The torque ratio concept for combustion monitoring of internal combustion engines Control Engineering Practice 20 2012 561 568 10.1016/j.conengprac.2011.12.007
- Taraza , D. , Statistical Correlation between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and Engine Performance - Part I: Theoretical Model J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 125 3 791 796
- Moro , D. , Cavina , N. , Ponti , F. , In-Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction Based on Instantaneous Engine Speed Signal J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 125 4 1050 1058 10.1115/1.1391430
- Ponti , F. , Development of a Torsional Behavior Powertrain Model for Multiple Misfire Detection J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 130 2 10.1115/1.2770486
- Ponti , F. , Analysis of the Interactions Between Indicated and Reciprocating Torques for the Development of a Torsional Behavior Model of the Powertrain J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 130 6 10.1115/1.2939010
- Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , Serra , G. , and Ponti , F. , MFB50 On-Board Evaluation Based on a Zero-Dimensional ROHR Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1420 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1420
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , and De Cesare , M. , Development of a Common Rail Diesel Engine Combustion Model for ROHR Real-Time Estimation ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference (ICEF2011) October 2 5 2011 Morgantown, West Virginia, USA 10.1115/ICEF2011-60153
- lida , K. , Akishino , K. , and Kido , K. , IMEP Estimation from Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Variation SAE Technical Paper 900617 1990 10.4271/900617
- Cavina , N. , Ponti , F. , Engine Torque Nonuniformity Evaluation Using Instantaneous Crankshaft Speed Signal J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 124 1 220 225 10.1115/1.1581892
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , and Serra , G. , Optimal Combustion Positioning Methodology Based on MFB50 On-Board Estimation ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference (ICEF2010) September 12 15 2010 San Antonio, Texas, USA 10.1115/ICEF2010-35166
- Heywood , J. B. , 1988 Internal combustion engine fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill
- Vibe , I.I. , 1970 Brennverlauf und Kreisprozess von Verbrennungsmotoren VEB VerlagTechnik Berlin
- Moskwa , J. J. , Wang , W. , and Bucheger , D.J. A New Methodology for Engine Diagnostics and Control Utilizing “Synthetic” Engine Variables: Theoretical and Experimental Results J. Din. Sys., Meas., Control September 2001 123 3 528 534 10.1115/1.1387019
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Serra , G. , and Stola , F. , Instantaneous Engine Speed Measurement and Processing for MFB50 Evaluation SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 235 244 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2747
- Corti , E. and Forte , C. , Statistical Analysis of Indicating Parameters for Knock Detection Purposes SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0237 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0237