This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of Real-time NOx Estimation Model and its Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet the stringent emission regulations on diesel engines, engine-out emissions have been lowered by adapting new combustion concepts such as low-temperature combustion and after-treatment systems have also been used to reduce tailpipe emissions. To optimize the control of both in-cylinder combustion and the efficiency of an after treatment system to reduce NOx, the amount of real-time NOx emissions should be determined.
Therefore, in previous studies, the authors developed a real-time NO estimation model based on the in-cylinder pressure and the data available from the ECU during engine operation. The model was evaluated by comparing its results with a CFD model, which agreed well. Then, the model was implemented on an embedded system which allows real-time applications, and was verified on a 2.2-liter diesel engine. The model showed good agreement with the experimental results at various steady-state conditions and simple transient conditions.
In this paper, to verify the performance and to investigate the characteristics of the real-time estimation of the model, the engine-out NO emissions measured by a fast NOx analyzer and the estimated NO emissions were compared during ECE-15 and EUDC cycles. Furthermore, to extend the NO model to a complete NOx prediction model, an empirical NO₂ prediction model is proposed based on the experiments under steady-state conditions. The in-house EGR prediction model was also applied in the NOx prediction model for accurate cycle-by-cycle prediction and used as an input during transient engine operations.
- Sung Hwan Cho - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc
- Junyong Lee - Seoul National Univ.
- Seungha Lee - Seoul National Univ.
- Wonah Park - Seoul National Univ.
- Kyoungdoug Min - Seoul National Univ.
- Han Ho Song - Seoul National Univ.
- Jun Yu - Hyundai Motor Group
- Hoimyung Choi - Advanced Institutes of Convergence Tech.
CitationLee, J., Lee, S., Park, W., Min, K. et al., "The Development of Real-time NOx Estimation Model and its Application," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0243, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0243.
- Kimura , S. , Aoki , O. , Kitahara , Y. and Aiyoshizawa , E. Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0200
- Alriksson , M. and Denbratt , I. Low Temperature Combustion in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using High Levels of EGR SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0075 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0075
- Colban , W. , Miles , P. and Oh , S. Effect of Intake Pressure on Performance and Emissions in an Automotive Diesel Engine Operating in Low Temperature Combustion Regimes SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4063 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4063
- Singh , S. , Musculus , M. and Reitz , R. Mixing and flame structures inferred from OH-PLIF for conventional and low-temperature diesel engine combustion Combustion and Flame 156 10 1898 1908 2009
- Sarangi , A. , Mctaggart-Cowan , G. and Garner , C. The Effects of Intake Pressure on High EGR Low Temperature Diesel Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2145 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2145
- Koebel , M. , Elsener , M. and Kleemann , M. Urea-SCR: a promising technique to reduce NOx emissions from automotive diesel engines Catalysis Today 59 3 335 345 2000
- Song , Q. and Zhu , G. Model-based Closed-loop Control of Urea SCR Exhaust Aftertreatment System for Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0287 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0287
- Bergmann , M. , Kirchner , U. , Vogt , R. and Benter , T. On-road and laboratory investigation of low-level PM emissions of a modern diesel particulate filter equipped diesel passenger car Atmospheric Environment 43 11 1908 1916 2009
- Braisher , M. , Stone , R. and Price , P. Particle Number Emissions from a Range of European Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0786 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0786 2010
- Forzatti , P. , Lietti , L. , Nova , I. and Tronconi , E. Diesel NOx aftertreatment catalytic technologies: Analogies in LNT and SCR catalytic chemistry Catalysis Today 151 3 202 211 2010
- Egnell , R. Combustion Diagnostics by Means of Multizone Heat Release Analysis and NO Calculation SAE Technical Paper 981424 1998 10.4271/981424
- Andersson , M. , Johansson , B. , Hultqvist , A. and Nöhre , C. A Real Time NOx Model for Conventional and Partially Premixed Diesel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0195 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0195
- Arrègle , J. , López , J. , Guardiola C. and Monin , C. Sensitivity Study of a NOx Estimation Model for On-Board Applications SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0640 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0640
- Seykens , X. , Baert , R. , Somers , L. and Willems , F. Experimental Validation of Extended NO and Soot Model for Advanced HD Diesel Engine Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 606 619 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0683
- Willems , F. , Doosje , E. , Engels , F. and Seykens , X. Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines Using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0564 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0564
- Hegarty , K. , Favrot , R. , Rollett , D. and Rindone , G. Semi-Empiric Model Based Approach for Dynamic Prediction of NOx Engine Out Emissions on Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0155 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0155
- Finesso , R. and Spessa , E. Real-Time Predictive Modeling of Combustion and NO x Formation in Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0899 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0899
- Wang , Y. , He , Y. and Rajagopalan , S. Design of Engine-Out Virtual NOx Sensor Using Neural Networks and Dynamic System Identification SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 837 849 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0694
- Johri , R. , Salvi , A. and Filipi , Z. Real-Time Transient Soot and NOx Virtual Sensors for Diesel Engine using Neuro-Fuzzy Model Tree and Orthogonal Least Squares Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ICEF2011-60161 2011
- Park , W. , Lee , J. , Min , K. , Yu , J. , Park , S. and Cho , S. Prediction of real-time NO based on the in-cylinder pressure in Diesel engines Proc. Combust. Inst. 2012
- Lee , J. , Park , W. , Lee , S. , Min , K. , Yu , J. and Cho , S. The development of a real-time virtual NO sensor based on in-cylinder pressure Int. J. Engine Res. 2013
- Zeldovich , Y. The Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion and Explosions Acta Physicochim 21 4 1946 577 628
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988 577 578
- Yu , S. Study on the engine control using the in-cylinder pressure in diesel engine Ph.D. Thesis 2012
- Miller , R. , Davis , G. , Lavoie , G. , Newman , C. and Gardner , T. A Super-Extended Zel'dovich Mechanism for NOx Modeling and Engine Calibration SAE Technical Paper 980781 1998 10.4271/980781