This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Accelerated Reliability/Durability Testing Standardization as a Component of Trends in Development Accelerated Reliability Testing (ART/ADT)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There are no standards that directly consider practical reliability testing technology (methods and equipment). This void needs to be filled. The SAE G-11 division has approved the development of six new standards to fill this void. This paper discusses these six standards: 1) Reliability Test-Glossary; 2) Reliability Testing-Strategy; 3) Reliability Testing-Procedures; 4) Reliability Testing-Equipment; 5) Reliability Testing-Statistical Criteria for Comparison of Reliability Testing Results and Field Results; 6) Reliability Testing-Collection, Calculation, and Statistical Analysis of Reliability Testing Data, Development Recommendations for Improvement of Test Subject Reliability, Durability, and Maintainability.
These standards are planned as a basis for obtaining the information needed to accurately predict usage, reliability, durability, quality, supportability and maintainability throughout the life-cycle, as well as life-cycle costs in real-world conditions, and to reduce the possibility of conflicts, duplications, and incorrect interpretations either expressed or implied elsewhere in the literature.
CitationKlyatis, L., "Development of Accelerated Reliability/Durability Testing Standardization as a Component of Trends in Development Accelerated Reliability Testing (ART/ADT)," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0151, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0151.
- National Research Council, Statistics, Testing, and Defense Acquisition: New Approaches and Methodological Improvements, Panel on Statistical Methods for Testing and Evaluating Defense Systems, Cohen Michael L., Rolph John B., and Steffey Duane L., Editors, Committee on National Statistics; Washington D.C., National Academy Press, 1998.
- National Research Council; Reliability Issues for DoD Systems, Report of a Workshop; Francisco Samaniego and Michael Cohen, Editors.; Committee on National Statistics; Washington D.C., National Academy Press; 2002.
- MIL-HDBK-108. Sampling Procedures and Tables for Life and Reliability Testing (Based on Exponential Distribution.
- MIL-HDBK-217F. Reliability Prediction of Electronic Equipment.
- MIL-HDBK-781A. Handbook for Reliability Test Methods, Plans, and Environments, Engineering, Development, Qualification, and Production.
- MIL-HDBK-3235. 1H. Test and Evaluation of Systems Reliability, Availability, Availability, and Maintainability: A New Primer.
- MIL-STD-690D. Failure Rate Sampling Plans and Procedures.
- MIL-STD-2074. Failure Classification for Reliability Testing.
- IEC 60300-3-2, Ed.2. Dependability Management - Part 3-2: Application Guide - Collection of Dependability Data from the Field.
- IEC 60605-2. Reliability of Systems. Equipment and Components - Part 10. Guide to Reliability Testing. Section 10.2. Design of Test Cycles.
- IEC 60605-4 (2001-2008). Equipment reliability testing, Part 4: Statistical procedures for exponential distribution - Point estimates, confidence intervals, prediction intervals and tolerance intervals.
- IEC 60605-6 Corr. 1 (2000-2012). Equipment reliability testing - Part 6: Tests for the validity of the constant failure rate or constant failure intensity assumptions.
- IEC 61070 (1991-2011) Compliance test procedures for steady-state availability.
- IEC 61123 (1991-2012). Reliability testing. - Compliance test plans for success ratio.
- IEC 61124 (2006-030 Reliability testing - Compliance tests for constant failure rate and constant failure intensity.
- IEC 60605-2 (1994-2010) Equipment Reliability Testing. Part 2: Design of test cycles.
- Chan, H. Antony, Parker T. Paul, Felkin Charles, Oates Antony. 2000, Accelerated Stress Testing. IEEE Press.
- Wayne Nelson. 1990. Accelerated Testing. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, NY.
- Klyatis Lev M. 2012. Accelerated Reliability and Durability Testing Technology. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Klyatis Lev and Klyatis Evgeny. 2006. Accelerated Quality and Reliability Solutions. Elsevier. Oxford, UK.
- Klyatis, L. and Verbitsky, D., “Accelerated Reliability/Durability Testing as a Key Factor for Accelerated Development and Improvement of Product/Process Reliability, Durability, and Maintainability,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0203, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0203.
- Klyatis, L., “Why Current Types of Accelerated Stress Testing Cannot Help to Accurately Predict Reliability and Durability?,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0800, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-0800.
- Klyatis, Lev, Aysik Vaysman. “Accurate Simulation of Human Factors and Reliability, Maintainability, and Supportability Solutions”. The Journal of RMS (Reliability, Maintainability, Supportability) in Systems Engineering. Winter 2007/2008.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle End-of-Life Testing on Honda Insights. Honda Insight Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Fleet and Accelerated Reliability Testing - September 2006. Report. U.S. Department of Energy.
- Honda Civic Fleet and Reliability Testing - July 2005. U.S. Department of Energy. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. FreedomCAR & Vehicle Technologies Program.
- Schwab, Harry L. and Dodson, Bryan L., “Accelerated Testing A Practitioner's Guide to Accelerated and Reliability Testing,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-0690-2, 2006, doi: 104271/R-304.
- Karbassian, A., Bonathan, D., and Katakami, T., “Accelerated Vibration Durability Testing of a Pickup Truck Rear Bed,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1406, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-1406.
- “Nissan Speeds up Truck Bed Durability Testing,” SAE Automotive Engineering International, Aug. 2009.