This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Procedure for Uncertainty of Measurement Determination of Spark Ignition Engine Emission Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experiments in engine test cells are under the influence of several parameters and types of equipment, which may impact the test results. Many variables of interest are derived from the combination of more than one quantity, increasing the results uncertainty of the final reported value. This paper describes a detailed procedure to calculate uncertainty of measurement of emission tests using a FTIR (Fourrier Transformed Infrared) emission analyzer.
A Flex-Fuel engine using gasoline and ethanol was tested under different operating conditions on an engine dynamometer equipped with automation system. For each operating condition at least four different measurements were taken.
The expanded uncertainty was calculated by the combination of Type A (due to repeatability) and Type B (due to calibration, sensor resolution and others).
Citationde Melo, T., de Brito, M., Machado, G., and Paiva, C., "Procedure for Uncertainty of Measurement Determination of Spark Ignition Engine Emission Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0488, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0488.
- MACHADO, G.B. BARROS, J.E.M. BRAGA, S.L. BRAGA, C.V.M. OLIVEIRA, E.J. DA SILVA, A.H.M.F. et al. Investigations on surrogate fuels for high-octane oxygenated gasolines Fuel 2011 90 640 6
- MELO, T.C.C. MACHADO, G.B. JUNIOR, R.T.M. BELCHIOR, C.R.P. PEREIRA, P.P. In-Cylinder pressure curve simulation on multifuel engines - a comparison between a polytrophic and general thermodynamic model for gasoline, ethanol and natural gas SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2820 2007
- MELO, T. C. C. MACHADO, G. B. OLIVEIRA, E. J. et al. 2011 “Different Hydrous Ethanol-Gasoline Blends - FTIR Emissions of a Flex-Fuel Engine and Chemical Properties of the Fuels” SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-008
- MELO, T.C.C. DIAS, A.L.F. 2004 “Experimental Methods for Reducing Uncertainty of Measurement on Vehicle Emission Testing” SAE 2004 Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition, 2004-01-1961 Toulouse, France, Junho
- MELO, T.C.C. CARVALHO, R. N. Fuel Economy - Method for Calculating Uncertainty of Measurement of Light-Duty Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0224 2008
- Johnson, T. “Diesel Emission Control in Review,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 68 81 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0069
- BIELACZYC, P. SZCZOTKA, A. Analysis of Uncertainty of the Emission Measurement of Gaseous Pollutants on Chassis Dynamometer SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1324 2007
- CONAMA - CONSELHO NACIONAL DO MEIO AMBIENTE Resolução CONAMA número 315 de 29 de Outubro de 2002 Dispõe sobre a nova etapa do Programa de Controle de Emissões Veiculares - PROCONVE
- MELO, T. C. C. COLNAGO, K. LOUREIRO, L. N. 2009 “Implantação dos Gases Orgânicos do Tipo Não- Metano (NHOG) no Brasil” XVII Simpósio Internacional de Engenharia Automotiva SIMEA 2009 São Paulo, SP, Brasil
- CFR 2009 CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS Subpart E - Gaseous Exhaust Test Procedures, V. 40. Sect. 91.401