This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Production of Ti-22Nb-6Zr Shape Memory Alloy by Powder Metallurgy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Shape Memory Alloys (SMA) are novel materials which have the ability to return to a predetermined shape when heated. SMA are useful as actuators which are materials that change shape, stiffness, position, natural frequency, and other mechanical characteristics in response to temperature or electromagnetic fields. Applications include engines in cars and airplanes, electrical generators and surgical implants that make use of the mechanical energy resulting from the shape transformations. Powder metallurgy allows the SMA production with savings of energy and time and with higher microstructural homogeneity than those obtained by conventional processes. In this work a new nickel-free titanium alloy Ti-22Nb-6Zr (%at) was produced in order to expand the application field of SMA. Samples were produced by mixing of initial metallic powders followed by uniaxial and cold isostatic pressing with subsequent densification by sintering between 800-1600°C, in vacuum. Sintered samples were characterized for phase composition, microstructure and microhardness by X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy and Vickers indentation, respectively. Density was measured by Archimedes method. It was shown that the samples were sintered to high densities and presented homogeneous microstructure with complete dissolution of alloying elements in the titanium matrix.
- Vinicius Andre Rodrigues Henriques - Instituto de Aeronautica e Espaco IAE/DCTA
- Jose Luis de Oliveira - Instituto de Aeronautica e Espaco IAE/DCTA
- Edevaldo Faria Diniz - Instituto de Aeronautica e Espaco IAE/DCTA
- Eliene Nogueira de Camargo - Instituto Tecnologico de Aeronautica - ITA
- Thais dos Reis Luz - Escola de Engenharia de Lorena EEL - USP
Citationdos Reis Luz, T., de Camargo, E., Henriques, V., de Oliveira, J. et al., "Production of Ti-22Nb-6Zr Shape Memory Alloy by Powder Metallurgy," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0467, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0467.
- Porous, T. W. Yin Nickel-free Shape memory alloy (SMA) By Powder Metallurgy (P/M) Method Dissertation City University of Hong Kong Department of Physics And Materials Science 2008
- Waram, T. Actuator Design Using Shape Memory Alloys 2nd Hamilton, Ont. 1993
- Maeshima, T. Nishida, M. Shape Memory and Mechanical Properties of Biomedical Ti-Sc-Mo Alloys Materials Transactions 2004 45 1101 1105 2004
- Miyazaki, S. Duerig, T.W. Melton, K.N. Stockel, D. Wayman, C.M. Engineering Aspects of Shape Memory Alloys Butterworth-Heinenmann 394 413 1990
- Kim, J.I. Kim, H.Y. Inamura, T. Hosoda, H. Miyazaki, S. Shape memory characteristics of Ti-22Nb-(2-8)Zr (at.%) biomedical alloys Materials Science and Engineering A 403 334 339 2005
- Bertheville, B. Porous Single-Phase NiTi Processed Under Ca Reducing Vapor for Use as a Bone Graft Substitute Biomaterials 27 1246 1250 2006
- Ma, L. W. Chung, C. Y. Tong, Y. X. Zheng, Y. F. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 20 783 2011
- Green, S.M. Grant, D.M. Kelly, N.R. Powder Metallurgical Processing of Ni-Ti Shape Memory Alloy Powder Metallurgy 40 43 47 1997
- Chu, C.L. Chung, J.C.Y. Chu, P.K. Effects of Heat Treatment on Characteristics of Porous Ni-rich NiTi SMA Prepared by SHS Technique Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 16 49 53 2006
- Zhao, Y. Taya, M. Kang, Y.S. Kawasaki, A. Compression Behavior of Porous NiTi Shape Memory Alloy Acta Materialia 53 337 343 2005