This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laser Surface Texturing - Their Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Severe operating conditions of lubricated contacts cause wear on a surface. The reduction of the components life time can be solved with laser surface texturing (LST) which is promising technologies allowing to optimize the surface micro-topography. LST produces a very large number of micro-dimples or grooves on the surface and each structure can serve as a micro-hydrodynamic bearing, a micro-reservoir for lubricant in cases of starved lubrication conditions or a micro-trap for wear debris. The present paper shows the basic principles of the laser ablation, an assembly to texture internal surfaces and examples of success where the LST was applied.
|Technical Paper||Sliding Surface Profiling of Plain Journal Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Lead-Free Replacements for SAE 792 in Bushing Applications|
|Technical Paper||Friction Reduction in Lubricated Components Through Engine Oil Formulation|
CitationDiogenes, L., "Laser Surface Texturing - Their Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0332, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0332.
- Etsion, I. State of the art in laser surface texturing Journal of Tribology 127 248 253 2005
- Propawe, R. Tailored Light 2: Laser Application Technology 2 186 Springer
- Vincent, C. Monteil, G. Barrière, T. Gelin, J. C. Laser surface texturing of a heterogeneous material: control of the machining quality AIP Conf. Proc. 907 1205 1210
- Duarte, M. Lasagni, A. Giovanelli, R. Narciso, J. Louis, E. Increasing Lubricant Film Lifetime by Grooving Periodical Patterns Using Laser Interference Metallurgy Advanced Engineering Materials 554 6 2008
- Bauerle, D. Laser Processing and Chemistry fourth Springer 203
- Brown, M. S. Arnold, C. B. Fundamentals of Laser-Material Interaction and Application to Multiscale Surface Modification, Chapter 4
- Profito, F. J. Modelagem Unidimensional do Regime Misto de Lubrificação Aplicada a Superfície Texturizadas master-degree thesis 41 USP 2010
- Riva, R. Neves, D. Simões, J. G. A. B. Guerreiro, S. S. Dispositivo de Microtexturização de Superfícies Internas de Cilindros Utilizando um Laser Visível 4° Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia de Fabricação 2007
- Victor, M. Lubrication of Textured Surfaces; International Conference “Universitaria Ropet 2002” Mechanical Engineering Petrosani 17 19 October 2002 2
- Plohl, G. Pulsed Laser Ablation Ljubljana 12 April 2010
- Erdemir, A. Ajayi, O. Erck, R. Eryilmaz, O. Fenske, G. Etsion, I. High Strength Weight Reduction Materials FY 2005 Progress Report F. Laser Texturing of Propulsion Materials 95 102
- Ryk, G. Etsion, I. Testing piston rings with partial laser surface texturing for friction reduction Wear Elsevier 261 792 796 2006
- Popular Science November 1968
- Etsion, I. Halperin, G. Becker, E. The effect of various surface treatments on piston pin scuffing resistance Wear 261 785 79 Elsevier 2006
- Ronen, A. Kligerman, Y. Ryk, G. Etsion, I. Improving Tribological Properties of Automotive Mechanical Components by Laser Surface Texturing Surface Technologies Ltd.
- Gruszka, J. Suchecki, A. New Methods of Internal Combustion Engine Cylinder Surface Forming Silniki Spalinowe 3 130 27 2007
- Sen, O. T. Mixed Lubrication Analysis of Laser Textured Cylinder Bores Istanbul Technical University, Institute of Science and Technology June 2007