This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Composite with Polyester Matrix and Natural Fiber (Agave Sisalana)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of natural fibers in composite materials of plant origin involves environmental, social and economic factors that must be met. Moreover, there is a shortage of progressive energy and mineral resources in general. Leading the search for renewable raw materials and low cost, which has been the factor of significant importance in directing research involving the use of natural fibers in composites. The paper presents polyester matrix composites reinforced by short sisal fibers, randomly arranged in the mold without using technological stages of production. The resin used was polyester terephthalic pre-accelerated in relation curing agent/resin of 0,33% by volume. The sisal fibers were acquired in the local market of Belem of Para. The fibers were manually cut in lengths of 5, 10 and 15 mm, untreated and at room temperature. The fibers were characterized mechanical, physically and microstructurally. The composites were made by molding by hand without pressure and room temperature by varying the length of the fibers and different proportions between the constituents in the relationship fiber length/mass fraction (5 mm/5,41%), (10 mm/4,87%) and (15 mm/3,90%). The composites were evaluated in tensile test and evaluation of the fractured surface by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) to determine the dominant failure mechanisms for each series of composites produced. The sisal fibers showed strength (453,62 MPa) and density (1,42 g/cm₃). For composite sisal 5 mm tensile strength was 16,98 MPa, for the composite sisal 10 mm tensile strength was 22,78 MPa and the composites sisal 15 mm tensile strength was 27,05 MPa. For composite sisal greater resistance to mechanical failure mechanisms dominating was the breaking of the fibers, sisal the composites of lower resistance to mechanical failure mechanisms were predominant the pull out (tearing of the fibers) and the detachment of the fiber matrix.
Citationda Costa, D., Guimaraes, J., de Oliveira Pereira, L., and Fujiyama, R., "Characterization of Composite with Polyester Matrix and Natural Fiber (Agave Sisalana)," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0309, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0309.
- ZATTERA, A. J. BIANCHI, O. ZENI, M. FERREIRA, C. A. Caracterization of Ethylene - Vinyl Acetate Copolymer (EVA) Residues Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia 15 1 73 78 2005
- SUAREZ, J. C. M. COUTINHO, F. M. B. SYDENSTRICKER, T. H. SEM studies of tensile fracture surfaces of polypropylene - sawdush composites Polymer testing 22 819 824 2003
- CALLISTER, W. D. JR. Materials Science and Engineering: an introduction 4 New York John Wiley & Sons 1997 852
- BRAZILIANFIBRES www.brazilianfibres.com.br 10 05 12
- ASTM D 3822 - 96 “Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Single Textile Fibers” Annual Book of ASTM Standards American Society for Testing and Materials
- Departamento Nacional de Estradas e Rodagem 1995 DNER-ME 084/95 Agregado miúdo - determinação da densidade real
- RODRIGUES, J. da S. Comportamento Mecânico de Material Compósito de Matriz Poliéster Reforçado por Sistema Híbrido Fibras Naturais e Resíduos da Indústria Madeireira 2008 91 f Dissertação (Mestrado em Engenharia Mecânica) Instituto de Tecnologia, Universidade Federal do Pará Belém 2008
- D'ÁLMEIDA, J. R. M. Propriedades Mecânicas de Compósitos Poliméricos Decorrentes da Variação das Características Físicas e Processamento da Matriz 1994 257 f Tese (Doutorado em Engenharia Metalúrgica e de Materiais) COPPE, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro Rio de Janeiro 1994
- ASTM D 638 - 96 “Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastic (Metric)” Annual Book of ASTM Standards American Society for Testing and Materials
- CARVALHO, R. F. Compósitos de fibras de sisal para uso em reforço de estruturas de madeira 119 f Tese (Doutorado em Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais) Universidade de São Paulo São Carlos 2005
- SILVA, R. V. Compósito de Resina Poliuretano Derivada de Óleo de Mamona e Fibras Vegetais 2003 157 f Tese (Doutorado em Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais) Universidade de São Paulo (USP) São Paulo 2003
- TORRES, F. G. CUBILLAS, M. L. Study of the interfacial properties of natural fibre reinforced polyethylene Polymer Testing 24 694 698 2005
- SILVA, O. R. R. F. BELTRÃO, N. E. M. O agronegócio do sisal no Brasil Brasília Embrapa-SPI 1999
- IDICULA, M. et al. Dynamic mechanical analysis of randomly oriented intimately mixed short banana/sisal hybrid fibre reinforced polyester composites Composites Science and Technology 65 1077 1087 2005
- VENKATESHWARAN, N. et al. Mechanical and water absorption behaviour of banana/sisal reinforced hybrid composites Materials & Design 32 4017 4021 2011
- NI, Y. Natural Fibre Reinforced Cement Composites Department of Mechanical Engineering Victoria University of Technology Australia july 1995
- JOSEPH, P. V. JOSEPH, K. THOMAS, S. Effect of processing variables on the mechanical properties of sisal-fiber-reinforced polypropylene composites Composites Science and Technology 59 1625 1640 1999