This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology for Developing and Validating Air Brake Tubes for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The pneumatic air brake system for heavy commercial trucks is composed by a large number of components, aiming its proper work and compliance with rigorous criteria of vehicular safety. One of those components, present along the whole vehicle, is the air brake tube, ducts which feed valves and reservoirs with compressed air, carrying signals for acting or releasing the brake system.
In 2011, due to a lack of butadiene in a global scale, the manufacturing of these tubes was compromised; as this is an important raw material present on the polymer used so far, PA12.
This article introduces the methodology of selecting, developing and validating in vehicle an alternative polymer for this application. For this purpose, acceptance criteria have been established through global material specifications, as well as bench tests and vehicular validation requirements.
The possible alternative materials have been tested under different chemical, mechanical and thermal conditions, also respecting specific characteristics on heavy commercial vehicles application. In addition, static, dynamic and cyclic aging tests were performed in order to simulate its performance through the entire life of the vehicle. The analysis of parameters such as cost, assembly impact, handling and storing in assembly line and serviceability were also evaluated along the study.
A PA6.10 material was validated considering performance material standards, assembly line conditions and Brazilian commercial trucks application.
CitationIombriller, S., Eiras, D., and Souza, M., "Methodology for Developing and Validating Air Brake Tubes for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0272, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0272.
- Meritor Wabco Anti-Lock Brake Systems and Air Systems Parts 4-II 2008
- SAE J844 Nonmetallic air brake system tubing 2004
- SAE J1131 Performance requirements for SAE J844 Nonmetallic tubing and fitting assemblies used in automotive air brake systems 1998
- SAE J1394 Metric Nonmetallic Air Brake System Tubing 2004
- DIN 74324 Polyamide tubing for air braking systems - Requirements and testing 1996
- ISO 7628 Road Vehicles - Thermoplastic tubing for air braking system 1998
- Plastics Materials Brydosn, J.A. 7th 1999 Butterworth-Heinemann
- http://igs.nigc.ir/BOOKS/HB-POLYMER.pdf 1999
- http://www.rhodia.com/en/binaries/BROCHURE%20EX TEN%20BD.pdf 2008
- http://www3.fsa.br/materiais/Processamento/Elast3.pdf 2012
- http://www.dsm.com/le/en_US/arnitel/downloads/Arnitel Tubes_hoses.pdf 2008
- Nylon 12-Huels in comparison to other nylons Chemische Werke Huels AG, West Germany 1 22 Huang, S.J. 1999
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclododecatriene 2012
- http://www.chemexper.com/chemicals/supplier/cas/1724-39-6.html 2012
- http://books.google.com/books?id=3fkEv6TDqpkC&pg=PA388&lpg=PA388&dq=oximation+reaction&source=bl&ots=YCrEW4QPXi&sig=_wJHZvBQgRiDENuKRp27plvD4Jk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PN2wT63wKuOS6gHn-Z25CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=oximation%20reaction&f=false 281 2012
- http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0897.htm 2006
- http://ask.alibaba.com/Q/700130579-What-islaurolactam-.html 2011
- http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/Products/Hytrel/hytrel_trademark.html 2012
- Hytrel Engineering Thermoplastic Elastomer Technical Bulletin TRH 30 1 24 2011 http://www.distrupol.com/images/Hytrel(TM)_Injection_Moulding_Guide.pdf
- Handbook of Plastics Testing Technology / Chapter 9 - Chemical Properties 2007