This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of the Accuracy Level of a Straightforward Systematic Fuel Consumption Model for Small-Size Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lately the simulation of driving cycles through the vehicle's longitudinal dynamics has become increasingly important and common for engineering design. Consequently is essential to evaluate the performance of the simulation through consistent validation metrics that allows a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the data. This paper presents a simple systematic mechanical model that estimates the fuel consumption of an arbitrary small-size hatch back in a specific driving cycle, with all the modeling details of the energy balance throughout the system, as well as, the procedure of the test that reproduces the simulated conditions and the validation methods with different validation metrics. Besides, this work examines how the present metrics should be interpreted for assessing computational model accuracy, as well as, the impact of experimental measurement uncertainty on the accuracy assessment.
Citationda Silva, R., Nonato, F., de Freitas, T., Macedo, G. et al., "Experimental Investigation of the Accuracy Level of a Straightforward Systematic Fuel Consumption Model for Small-Size Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0268, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0268.
- Sorniotti, A. Damiani, E. “Experimental Validation of a Heavy Goods Vehicle Fuel Consumption Model” SAE World Congress and Exhibition Detroit 2011
- Unnewehr, L. E. Auiler, J. E. Foote, L.R. Moyer, D.F. Stadler, H.L. “Hybrid Vehicle for fuel Economy” Society of Automotive Engineers 1976
- Nonato, F. Macedo, G. “Straightforward Systematic Approach for Fuel Efficiency and Emissions Assessment in Automotive Systems” SAE Brazil Congress 2011
- Gillespie, T. D. “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale PA 1992
- Onursal, B. Gautan, S. “Vehicular Air Pollution: Experiences from Seven Latin-American Urban Centers.” World Bank Technical Paper no.373 The World Bank 1997
- HBM Somat eDAQlite, product specification
- AVL PLU 116H-120, datasheet
- Oberkampf, W. L. Barone, M. F. “Measures of agreement computational and experiment: Validation Metrics” Journal of Computational Physics 2006
- Paez, T. L. “Introduction to Model Validation” Society for Experimental Mechanics Inc 2009
- Oberkampf, W. L. Roy, C. “Verification and Validation in Scientific Computing” Cambridge University Press 2010
- Montgomery, D. C. “Design and Analysis of Experiments” John Wiley & Sons Inc 7 th 2009
- Neto, B. B. Scarminio, I. A. Bruns, R. E. “Como Fazer Experimentos” Editora Unicamp 2007
- Hoo, L. “Introduction to Measurement Technology” Seminar: Introduction to measurement Technology 2010